Re: Robe Fabric Selections...

  • GCKidd
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 20, 2012
      That's funny, to me...here, it's going the opposite direction. The one Hancocks in easy driving distance from where I live has about half the store dedicated to quilting and fleece products, another third of what's left to interior decorating...I'm currently working on several costumes for a friend's event (a masquerade, but every costumes is supposed to be predominantly white). I went to Hancocks because they're more conveniently located, but they had absolutely NOTHING in stock that was even remotely useful to me.

      I've had the 'waiting in line' problem at JoAnn's before, but since they've instituted a 'take a number' policy, I haven't had that problem (just the frustration of realizing that there are, in fact, fifteen people who really ARE ahead of me in line, even if they're off browsing the store, waiting for their number to be called...)

      Wade, if you want something with a kind of satiny finish but with a design woven into it, you might also look at the brocades and jacquards. The selection was pretty limited, when I was in earlier tonight, around here...but that limited selection had some really nice alternatives.

      As for which silks can be washed...well, actually, I'm not sure. I know you're not supposed to wash dupioni silk...but I'm also pretty sure you don't want to use that, since it's $25/yd or so (although it is beautiful stuff). However, I'm skeptical of just how definite that 'don't wash' guideline is, since the people who told me about basically told me that getting dupioni wet would ruin it (I've had opportunity to learn, first-hand, that isn't the case). I've had several china silk shirts over the years that I washed with my regular laundry, and they held up fine. The problem, I believe, is that a lot of silks have a very distinct finish--very smooth, almost glossy (not quite a full-on satin shine, but in that direction.) Rough treatment of the fabric (like heavy agitation in a washing machine) can raise a nap on the material--and once that happens, there's no way to get it to look quite normal again. What's worse, because those patches will reflect light a little differently, they end up looking like they're discolored or faded, even when they aren't (learned this one the hard way, one of our performers dropped her silk gown on top of an aerosol bottle of hair spray during a quick change, didn't notice it, and hung the dress up after the show...by the time we saw it, the hair spray had completely set up. The process of getting it back out again messed up the dress...gorgeous sapphire blue silk, with a very blatant 'faded' spot on the right hip.) So, if you're only washing once every other month or so, I think you'll be okay (especially if you have one of the new front-loading washers that tumbles the wash, rather than a top-loader with an agitator in it). Just make sure you ALWAYS wash on the gentlest setting your machine has, and I would strongly advise line-drying for longevity of the fabric. If the silk is actually your lining (which would be an expensive way to go, but nothing I've found feels quite as luxuriant as silk next to the skin, so...*shrug*), you wouldn't need to worry as much, as it wouldn't be seen.
    • Wade MacMorrighan
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 20, 2012
        Hey guys, something I have been after, but have't (yet) seen before is satin with a monochromatic pattern at all! I was browsing some beautiful satin on-line when I came upon this fabulous sage-colored satin; and I thought to myself, if only it had a monochromatic filigrees motif (my fav. motif) it would be perfect to line my bell-sleeves with if, for example, I wanted to coordinate my wardrobe with an activity, such as speaking on or giving a workshop about herbalism! :o) Even something that resembled beautiful Victorian-style wallpaper would be right up my aesthetic alley. :o)

      • francesgrimble
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 21, 2012
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Wade MacMorrighan <Wade@...> wrote:

          > Hey guys, something I have been after, but have't (yet) seen before is satin with a monochromatic pattern at all!

          I think the fabric you may be looking for is damask. Damask is a woven pattern, often though not always in one color or two colors with low contrast. Damasks can be woven with any fiber. Silk and faux silk damasks are very popular for home-dec/drapery, and also for historic costumes for various eras. White cotton and linen damask tablecloths are available all over eBay (often for low prices) and can be dyed any color you like with Procion MX dyes.

          Hope this helps.

          Fran
          Lavolta Press
          Books on making historic clothing
          www.lavoltapress.com
        • PlaidCrafter
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 14, 2012
            Over at this post http://craftside.typepad.com/craftside/2012/02/indygo-junction-pattern-giveaway-and-how-to-mark-a-button-location-before-stitching.html
            and this post
            http://recycledcrafts.craftgossip.com/giveaway-indygo-junction-patterns/2012/02/14/
            there are chances to win your choice of any Indygo Junction pattern!
            Stef
            http://thecardalbum.blogspot.com/
            http://sweatersurgery.blogspot.com/
            http://craftside.typepad.com/
            http://recycledcrafts.craftgossip.com/
            Facebook facebook.com/StefanieL.Girard
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your