Re: New Member

  • Mary Logan
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 8, 2012
      Hello Andromeda,

      Your post inspires me to reply, as I was once where you are, and always find
      I feel a duty to encourage younger people coming into the field.

      After 30+ years in the business, I consider myself a master of the craft,
      from design interpretation, to custom-patterning, through
      sewing/construction and the finest of finishing. My interest began very
      early in life, and purely by happenstance, I ended up doing what I love most
      for a living. It's my view too, that there is a lot to be said for quality
      and style such as we've seen in examples from the past, and even more for
      personal taste and selection in terms of choice suited to occasion.

      If it's costuming, and costume construction that interests you, I would
      venture to say that opportunities are becoming few and far between - that is
      if you want to make a living at it. Technology and industry have combined
      by now to a point where many of the things we used to rely on hands for, are
      executable by machinery, in a much shorter amount of time, hence at a lower
      cost. Add to that the tendency for business to exploit for labour less
      fortunate people in other nations, and it's easy to see that fashion and
      trends are prone to change at a rate much speedier than in times when
      construction spent more time in human hands.

      Just the same, there is nothing to stop you in achieving construction
      skills, though be prepared - in many ways it is a lifetime of learning.
      There are many theatres where interning opportunities exist, as well as
      regional and amateur theatres where they're only too happy to have
      volunteers. Throughout, strive to learn, and begin a book collection. Art
      books contain the most faithful of period clothing representations.
      Reference material is also important - books, magazines....wherever you see
      it, photograph it, copy it, read it, buy it if you can. Pattern-making
      books from all sorts of sources are important as well - as you gain insight
      with experience, you will find your way to your own methods through trial
      and error and comparison - I don't believe there is a single pattern book
      that will contain all that you encounter. Technical books on styling are
      helpful, as well as books that TALK about style and choice of style. One
      of my biggest inspirations (which is what your post reminded me of) was a
      book titled Harmony in Dress, by Mary Brooks Picken.

      Aside from that, if you intend to do work on your own, strive to (over time)
      have proper space, tools and machinery, lighting, storage etc., so that you
      can work properly. Nothing will kill your inspiration as quickly as
      frustration. If you have access, also learn from older people - whether
      it's embroidery, smocking, knitting, crochet, to mention a few - all will be
      useful sometime later., perhaps even a central feature in a project.

      And remember, if at any point you are tempted to assert that now you know
      all you need to know - keep in mind, if you continue in the field, that a
      year, two years, twenty years later, you will know that much more - hence,
      you DON'T know all there is to know, ever, really.

      Regardless of what you see around you, how you personally dress is still
      your choice. If you have a style that is your own, be it classic or trendy,
      IT will be the inspiration you use when working for others - don't be afraid
      of developing it fully, but also respect that not everyone's tastes are the
      same. In judging each of your final products, regardless of whether the
      person or organization you're servicing is happy and overjoyed, use your own
      judgement in establishing your standard. If YOU are happy with it, you will
      know, not hope, that your product is one of quality and will be worn with
      pride.

      So I've gone on a bit, I know, but I hope you, and perhaps others, find it
      helpful. Wishing you all the best in however you choose to express your
      interests.

      Zed

    • E
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 8, 2012
        Greetings, Andromeda!
      • PlaidCrafter
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 18, 2012
          Today at http://craftside.typepad.com/ there is a fun tutorial from Pluckyfluff's new book Hand Spun on how to spin extreme tail yarn and you can enter to win a copy of her book!
          Fiber-fabulous!
          Stef
          http://thecardalbum.blogspot.com/
          http://sweatersurgery.blogspot.com/
          http://recycledcrafts.craftgossip.com/
          Facebook facebook.com/StefanieL.Girard
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
        • IOM315@AOL.com
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 3, 2012
            I've read your post and as well as the post from "Zed". I could not agree
            more with "Zed". I have been designing and producing presentation gowns
            for Mardi Gras over the past 30+ years. This has led me down a very twisted
            path, but I can say after just finishing up work on my 24th Ball for the
            same organization, it is with pride that I look back on how my work has
            evolved.

            From my early endeavors until now I have had to change with the
            marketplace. Beautiful fabrics and trims have either vanished or become so expensive
            they are out of my budget. I have found that being flexible, always
            inquisitive, and not settling for with the first idea has brought my work to its
            current level.

            The most profound change for my work was born because I hate to have my
            work compromised by what is available in the textile industry. Therefore I
            developed a process to emboss my artwork on textiles. While refining the
            process I had the opportunity to create a collection of presentation gowns
            based on Faberge's Easter Eggs. The combination was a true turning point.

            You just never know where the path will lead when faced with challenges.
            My best advice is to approach the challenges of our industry as
            opportunities for growth in spite of the growing pains!

            Best wishes and welcome to this "crazy" world.
            D.L. Dixon
            Ides of March Design Group, Ltd.