Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Ribbon decorations for hats 1920's

  • judycat@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 16, 2011
      There is a book written in the 1920s on ribbon art Old-Fashioned Ribbon Art: Ideas and Designs for Accessories and Decorations. Preview on http://books.google.com/books?id=IkvTTGW7A2sC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

      Judy

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 26, 2011
        thank you for the kind information link. am

        ________________________________
        There is a book written in the 1920s on ribbon art Old-Fashioned Ribbon Art: Ideas and Designs for Accessories and Decorations. Preview on http://books.google.com/books?id=IkvTTGW7A2sC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

        Judy

        >Am a student who needs information on ribbon techniques for trimming hats in 1920's. I have a great deal of vintage ribbon and would like to master this outdated artform.Am studying millinery and will hopefully go on to Theatre millinery then costuming.
        >
        >If you could assist be patient with me as I am trying to master the internet. Libraries do not have the information I require. Would appreciate all help.
        >
        >PS am not very well off so hence the reason for asking.

        Judy

        judycat@...
        http://colonialspinningbee.blogspot.com/

      • Mary Ellen Frank
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 26, 2011
          also see http://www.candacekling.com/ she is the queen of ribbon art
          and has a great book and classes
          Mary Ellen Frank, curator
          Claudia Kelsey Doll Museum aka Aunt Claudia's Dolls
          On Dec 26, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Anne-marie Hofman wrote:

          > thank you for the kind information link. am
          >
          > ________________________________

          Mary Ellen Frank, NIADA Artist
          curator, Aunt Claudia's Dolls, a Museum

        • francesgrimble
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 11, 2012

            The Women's Institute of Domestic Arts & Sciences was a very popular correspondence school in the 1910s and 1920s. They had separate courses on dressmaking, millinery, and cooking. The (series of) booklets they published are widely available used on eBay and elsewhere. Some have been reprinted, including their Millinery: A Complete Course. This book has loads of ribbon trimmings. See:

            http://www.biblio.com/details.php?dcx=476599675&aid=aa&t=1

            Fran
            Lavolta Press
            Books on historic dressmaking, millinery, and needlework
            www.lavoltapress.com
            www.facebook.com/LavoltaPress