Ribbon decorations for hats 1920's

  • annemariehofman
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 15, 2011
      Hi all

      Am a student who needs information on ribbon techniques for trimming hats in 1920's. I have a great deal of vintage ribbon and would like to master this outdated artform.Am studying millinery and will hopefully go on to Theatre millinery then costuming.

      If you could assist be patient with me as I am trying to master the internet. Libraries do not have the information I require. Would appreciate all help.

      PS am not very well off so hence the reason for asking.
    • judycat@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 16, 2011
        There is a book written in the 1920s on ribbon art Old-Fashioned Ribbon Art: Ideas and Designs for Accessories and Decorations. Preview on http://books.google.com/books?id=IkvTTGW7A2sC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

        Judy

        >Am a student who needs information on ribbon techniques for trimming hats in 1920's. I have a great deal of vintage ribbon and would like to master this outdated artform.Am studying millinery and will hopefully go on to Theatre millinery then costuming.
        >
        >If you could assist be patient with me as I am trying to master the internet. Libraries do not have the information I require. Would appreciate all help.
        >
        >PS am not very well off so hence the reason for asking.

        Judy

        judycat@...
        http://colonialspinningbee.blogspot.com/
      • Anne-marie Hofman
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 26, 2011
          thank you for the kind information link. am

          ________________________________
          There is a book written in the 1920s on ribbon art Old-Fashioned Ribbon Art: Ideas and Designs for Accessories and Decorations. Preview on http://books.google.com/books?id=IkvTTGW7A2sC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

          Judy

          >Am a student who needs information on ribbon techniques for trimming hats in 1920's. I have a great deal of vintage ribbon and would like to master this outdated artform.Am studying millinery and will hopefully go on to Theatre millinery then costuming.
          >
          >If you could assist be patient with me as I am trying to master the internet. Libraries do not have the information I require. Would appreciate all help.
          >
          >PS am not very well off so hence the reason for asking.

          Judy

          judycat@...
          http://colonialspinningbee.blogspot.com/

        • Mary Ellen Frank
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 26, 2011
            also see http://www.candacekling.com/ she is the queen of ribbon art
            and has a great book and classes
            Mary Ellen Frank, curator
            Claudia Kelsey Doll Museum aka Aunt Claudia's Dolls
            On Dec 26, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Anne-marie Hofman wrote:

            > thank you for the kind information link. am
            >
            > ________________________________

            Mary Ellen Frank, NIADA Artist
            curator, Aunt Claudia's Dolls, a Museum

          • francesgrimble
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 11, 2012

              The Women's Institute of Domestic Arts & Sciences was a very popular correspondence school in the 1910s and 1920s. They had separate courses on dressmaking, millinery, and cooking. The (series of) booklets they published are widely available used on eBay and elsewhere. Some have been reprinted, including their Millinery: A Complete Course. This book has loads of ribbon trimmings. See:

              http://www.biblio.com/details.php?dcx=476599675&aid=aa&t=1

              Fran
              Lavolta Press
              Books on historic dressmaking, millinery, and needlework
              www.lavoltapress.com
              www.facebook.com/LavoltaPress