Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Organza Cabaret Boas

  • Gwyn Fireman
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 17, 2011
      On 9/17/11 10:22 PM, Sylvia Rognstad wrote:
      > I cant see how they can sell them for only $20!

      Shipping is $20, on top of $75 for the boa itself.

      I've read about making "pageant ruffles" in my serger guide, but never
      tried it, so take this with a grain of salt:

      It looks like several layers of organza cut on the bias, with a rolled
      hem sewn stretched over fishing line, probably gathered where the layers
      join. You could gather using fishing line down a central channel, then
      twist the layers for that spiral effect.
    • redbrocade
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 18, 2011
        Yes, that is exactly what to do. I've done it for dress necklines & once on a bridal veil edge. I couldn't do it for what they charge either, it's a lot of work!

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Gwyn Fireman <gfireman@...> wrote:

        > On 9/17/11 10:22 PM, Sylvia Rognstad wrote:
        > > I cant see how they can sell them for only $20!
        >
        > Shipping is $20, on top of $75 for the boa itself.
        >
        > I've read about making "pageant ruffles" in my serger guide, but never
        > tried it, so take this with a grain of salt:
        >
        > It looks like several layers of organza cut on the bias, with a rolled
        > hem sewn stretched over fishing line, probably gathered where the layers
        > join. You could gather using fishing line down a central channel, then
        > twist the layers for that spiral effect.

      • Sylvia Rognstad
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 18, 2011
          Duh! I didnt read the ad too well, did I? Still seems like a lot of
          work for $75, but I guess once you've got the method down, it goes
          faster. I'm just always looking for things to make that I could sell.

          Sylvia Rognstad
          Ezzyworld
          Custom sewing & design
          Theatrical costume design
          htto://www.ezzyworld.com
          Hand-dyed silk belly dance veils
          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Emeralds-Belly-Dance-veils-etc/
          134438376621333

          On Sep 17, 2011, at 9:02 PM, Gwyn Fireman wrote:

          > On 9/17/11 10:22 PM, Sylvia Rognstad wrote:
          > > I cant see how they can sell them for only $20!
          >
          > Shipping is $20, on top of $75 for the boa itself.
          >
          > I've read about making "pageant ruffles" in my serger guide, but never
          > tried it, so take this with a grain of salt:
          >
          > It looks like several layers of organza cut on the bias, with a rolled
          > hem sewn stretched over fishing line, probably gathered where the
          > layers
          > join. You could gather using fishing line down a central channel, then
          > twist the layers for that spiral effect.

        • Jackie Keizer
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 18, 2011
            My guess would be different colored lengths of the organza laid on top of each other and sewn together. Sew a narrow hem on each and run clear fishing line thru it (or maybe zig zag the line at the edge) gather the seam where they are all sewn together. I haven't made a boa, but I've had rows of tulle gathered at the edge of costume skirts and when I ran the fishing line through the hem it makes them curl and stand out just like the picture. I'd bet anything there is fishing line in the edge on that boa. I think the layers would poof out and twist like in the picture so that the center seam would be hidden and the colors would look like they were swirled together. Again, it's a guess, but you could try it on a small scale and tweak.

            Jackie

            Sent from my iPad
          • Gwyn Fireman
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 18, 2011
              On 9/17/11 11:02 PM, Gwyn Fireman wrote:
              > gather using fishing line down a central channel

              On second thought: to keep the ruffles even, the gathers should be
              stitched together, or to a non-stretchy ribbon; otherwise the ruffles
              would just slide down to each end when worn.

              Now *I* want to make one! Jackie's idea of a small-scale version is
              brilliant!
            • kcflipbooks
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 18, 2011
                Thank you all. I generally agree there is fishing line at the edge of the fabric.

                Here is another question. Would you sew the layers together before you did the edges or do the edges and then sew them together? I can think of reasons to do it both ways.