Dulling Sequins

  • lo_jones
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 11, 2011
      Hi everyone,
      I need to make a sequin dress appear less shiny on stage. Any recommendations of sprays or techniques I can use that won't ruin the dress?

      Thanks!
      Lauren
    • Pat Rohrbach
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 11, 2011
        Can't you use another dress? Seems a shame to do that to the dress?? I can't
        think of anything that will not mess it up??

        Patricia

        "I am a Costumer, I make clothes for imaginary people." ---

        When I costume, I am not a fashion designer nor a clothing manufacturer, but
        a builder of character, concept, and physical movement.

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 12, 2011
          Hairspray. A light, misty spray will dull the sequins and usually not harm
          the dress. BUT like anything, test in an inconspicuous spot first, just to
          make sure.

          ~lisa.s

          On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 7:45 PM, lo_jones <lauren.horwitch@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone,
          > I need to make a sequin dress appear less shiny on stage. Any
          > recommendations of sprays or techniques I can use that won't ruin the dress?
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Lauren

          ~lisa.s <at>Gmail<dot>com

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 12, 2011
            I’ve had very good luck using hairspray.

          • GCKidd
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 12, 2011
              The only thing I can think of is hairspray, which may still take some of the finish off the sequins when you get the dress cleaned. But a good dry-cleaner should be able to get it off without too much trouble (might actually be a good place to check, as they would know what can be taken off the dress without doing damage to it...)

              If you aren't worried about returning the dress to its 'original state' and can keep it dulled down, you might also try clear acrylic spray paint in a matte finish. I'd avoid enamel-based sprays because the solvents in the paint might do bad things to the actual fabric.

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "lo_jones" <lauren.horwitch@...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone,
              > I need to make a sequin dress appear less shiny on stage. Any recommendations of sprays or techniques I can use that won't ruin the dress?
            • wendylstarn
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 12, 2011
                What about a layer or 2 of illusion netting on top? Cut to size & baste on. If it's a simple enough dress, it would not be hard to tack on top, and would be easily removed later.

                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "lo_jones" <lauren.horwitch@...> wrote:

                > Hi everyone,
                > I need to make a sequin dress appear less shiny on stage. Any recommendations of sprays or techniques I can use that won't ruin the dress?
                >
                > Thanks!
                > Lauren

              • thecostumersmanifesto
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 12, 2011
                  If you want something permanent, (like making the backside less prominent, or the waist seem smaller) I use spray paint in a darker color that works with the sequin color, like black for a dark multicolor design, or rust on an orange or peach, purple on magenta, etc. just done as a subtle airbrush dusting in the areas I want to knock down, and/or as a strong deliberate painted body-shaping trick. This really looks good long term. When I want it reversible I just use colored hair sprays the same way. You need to refresh them every few days since it wears off, but it is also pretty easy to do, and tends to come out with hand washing in the sink at the end of the run. I use sequined and beaded dresses a lot, both on their own, and mainly as cut up and re-purposed dresses and costume decorations and I don't usually consider them "done" till I see them at 1st dress, decide what is too "hot" (or what actors need reshaping help) talk it over with the lighting designer, and then spray them with paint till they look the way we want the next day. Spray paint is definitely your friend in all this allowing you to do all sorts of fun color effects, body flattering tricks, and letting a chorus line use a bunch of assorted beaded and sequined outfits, yet all look the same level of twinkly.

                  --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "lo_jones" <lauren.horwitch@...> wrote:

                  > Hi everyone,
                  > I need to make a sequin dress appear less shiny on stage. Any recommendations of sprays or techniques I can use that won't ruin the dress?
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  > Lauren

                • James
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 13, 2011
                    Spray starch.

                    --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "lo_jones" <lauren.horwitch@...> wrote:

                    > Hi everyone,
                    > I need to make a sequin dress appear less shiny on stage. Any recommendations of sprays or techniques I can use that won't ruin the dress?
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                    > Lauren

                  • Kimberly Stockton
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 13, 2011
                      I agree with using a netting over the dress.  It is the only way to safely conserve it.  I have seen way to many sequined dress ruined by "knowledgeable" cleaners!

                      Kimberly D. Stockton

                      SyRilla27@...