Which costume books are a Must-Have?

  • catslave54
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 22, 2011
      My bookshelves are groaning under the weight of years of accumulation. I have many General History of Costume,of course, but I also own specific history ones, like English Children's Costume from 1300 to 1900 or, The 1940s. I have specific ethnic ones such as Chinese and Native American.I have several books on Religious Costume.I have books on tailoring, general sewing and construction.I have books on jewelry making, knitting and weaving...

      Which books do you refer to the most? Which books are only specific to one production? Which books should I pass on to others?
    • Wade MacMorrighan
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 23, 2011
        Hey guys, the other day I was at Joanne's looking for fabrics for my Witchy robes with the dramatic bell sleeves; well, I found the PERFECT satin to use! But, I have no idea what to use for the black fabric that'll comprise the rest of the garment... I don't want velvet, but something with a nice weight for it. And, as I pondered that I couldn't help recall the cloth napkins that I use to see at some restaurants when I was small. Anyhoo....I was hoping that someone might have suggestions. Also, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions re: how to cut/ sew table cloths? This is something else that I'd like to make, and ensure they are geometrically "perfect' as possible! LOL!

        All my best,

        Wade

      • francesgrimble
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2011
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "catslave54" <zimmermanel@...> wrote:

          > My bookshelves are groaning under the weight of years of accumulation.

          <snip>

          This is a problem I've solved first by buying more bookcases, then stacking books on the floor when I run out of room. I mean, they're all must-haves.

          Fran
          Lavolta Press
          Books of historic clothing patterns
          www.lavoltapress.com
          www.facebook.com/LavoltaPress
        • syrilla27
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2011
            If you do Need to get rid of any, I would be willing to come to your aid and give them a loving home. :D

            Esp. as many of my books were accidentally donated, by a family member, to Charity during my last move.... (insert scream/cry here)

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2011