No-Waste Cutting, 1950s Style

  • francesgrimble
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2011
      I recently bought a used book titled Sewing Magic, by Mary Brooks Picken, with the copyright dates of 1950, 1951, and 1952. This book contains 159 patterns for women's clothes, 1 for men (work aprons), 27 infants and children (mostly female), 11 for home dec, and 26 for "gifts," including a few men's garments. The women's patterns include skirts, blouses, dresses, boleros, jackets, coats, stoles, capes, scarves, lingerie, accessories, and aprons. All the patterns are simple, but stylish. Almost all of them have no or minimal waste. Diagrams with measurements show how to draw the patterns directly on the fabric. A perfect book for beginning (and more advanced) retro sewers!

      Fran
      Lavolta Press
      Books on making historic clothing
      www.lavoltapress.com