Re: Computerized inventory systems

  • redbrocade
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
      I'm a career inventory manager & unless your collection is huge Access is the cheap + easy way to go. There used to be "wizards" for setting up basic business functions like inventory. If you already have one of the business finance programs, most have an inventory package that might be OK. check with your acct dept. The key things you need are a unique ID for every piece & numbered (or otherwise identified) locations. You can do subsets like "tops" subset men, women, children, Medieval, 1960's subset2 size or color etc so that you can pull up reports. For best reporting create ID's (part numbers) that can be split into 3 report areas either using words or numbers. Many software programs use a 3 segment part number. So you get "shirt.period.color" and maybe a descriptor field "size"