Can can costume

  • Siebel San
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 9, 2002
      The McCalls's number is 3674, though michealla is right -
      you can just make a bodice and a circle skirt, though I do
      like this pattern. Talk later!

      -Jessie

      =====
      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • neimhaille
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 10, 2002
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., Siebel San <siebelsan@y...> wrote:
        > The McCalls's number is 3674, though michealla is right -
        > you can just make a bodice and a circle skirt, though I do
        > like this pattern. Talk later!

        I finally saw pictures of it on ebay last night. Yep. it's a nice
        easy pattern, but I'd make it fit much closer than the girls on the
        envelope are wearing theirs;)

        michaela
      • Siebel San
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 10, 2002
          > > The McCalls's number is 3674, though michealla is right
          > - you can just make a bodice and a circle skirt, though I
          > do like this pattern. Talk later!
          >

          > I finally saw pictures of it on ebay last night. Yep.
          > it's a nice
          > easy pattern, but I'd make it fit much closer than the
          > girls on the
          > envelope are wearing theirs;)
          >
          > michaela

          Oh most definitely! And sorry about misspelling your name,
          I never get the e's and the a's in the right place... I
          plan to make Nini's yellow dress and get it on ebay in time
          for halloween. What would be a good fabric? I was
          thinking taffeta, because it's stiff and rustle-y. I plan
          to do beaded fringe too. Have you seen any pictures of the
          one from the movie anywhere? I'll have to take another
          look at the Moulin Rouge sites you sent us...
          -Jessie

          =====
          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • neimhaille
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 12, 2002
            > Oh most definitely! And sorry about misspelling your name,
            > I never get the e's and the a's in the right place...

            How terribly annoying, yahoo ate my post and made me sign in...grrr..

            Not a problem, just remember it's Michael with an a;)

            > I plan to make Nini's yellow dress and get it on ebay in time
            > for halloween. What would be a good fabric? I was
            > thinking taffeta, because it's stiff and rustle-y. I plan
            > to do beaded fringe too.

            I think a heavy taffeta would be good, it would indeed aid in the
            russling, and the dress doesn't shine too much in the movie either.
            As compared to the red dress which just glows. And then the ruffles
            underneath of a lighter taffeta, like lining weight with lace and
            tucks and such.

            Have you seen any pictures of the
            > one from the movie anywhere? I'll have to take another
            > look at the Moulin Rouge sites you sent us...
            > -Jessie

            http://www.carolineoconnor.com.au/moulin_rouge_extra.htm

            Good shot of the back of the dress, shows that it is laced with
            black lacing in a herringbone fashion.

            There are some great shots of her shoes as well, i just love her
            Tango ones, which you can see if you go to the index and find the
            intro page to the MR section. Nice half screen shot of it in it's
            yellow and black glory:)

            michaela
            http://frazzledfrau.tripod.com/moulinrouge for the other links.
          • thejoshuagoldberg
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 28 9:31 PM
              I actually made this costume for a friend of mine. She's coming out
              in a play about Toulouse and plays Nini Legs in the Air. I didn't
              make the corset tho. She already had one so I just sort
              of "designed" the dress around it. I also used the red and yellow
              as in the movie. I also played around with the patterns to sort of
              make it my own. This is the first costume I've made from scratch.
              I also just joined this group so if any one wants to see photos of
              the finished product just tell me how to post them and I would be
              glad to put them up.
            • Siebel San
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003
                Would love to! But I don't know hwo to post them....
                Jessica

                > I also just joined this group so if any one wants to see
                > photos of
                > the finished product just tell me how to post them and I
                > would be
                > glad to put them up.

                =====
                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              • neimhaille
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003
                  > I actually made this costume for a friend of mine. She's coming
                  out
                  > in a play about Toulouse and plays Nini Legs in the Air. I didn't
                  > make the corset tho. She already had one so I just sort
                  > of "designed" the dress around it. I also used the red and yellow
                  > as in the movie. I also played around with the patterns to sort of
                  > make it my own. This is the first costume I've made from scratch.
                  > I also just joined this group so if any one wants to see photos of
                  > the finished product just tell me how to post them and I would be
                  > glad to put them up.

                  Personally I would never post a decent sized file in the photos
                  section, as it resizes them and no one but you can see the full sized
                  iamge.

                  You could put them in the files section:

                  If you are logged into yahoo you can just follow the instructions to
                  add a file or create a new folder.

                  However, I own
                  http://moulinrouge.glittersweet.com
                  and am willing to host photos for people with no homepage. You could
                  send them to me, and I'll upload them asap. Then let you and the
                  group know.

                  This way many more people can see them too;) ANd you still own all
                  right to the photo (rather than have yahoo be allowed to use them or
                  whatever the terms of service actually says).

                  Just an option. You can email me privately about it if you like:)

                  michaela
                  http://glittersweet.com
                • Jai Rohra
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003
                    Hi Micheala,

                    For any embroidry digitizing assistance visit my
                    website http://www.jiposoftech.com
                    Regards,
                    Jp.

                    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                  • c_l_schmidt
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
                      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "thejoshuagoldberg"
                      <thejoshuagoldberg@y...> wrote:
                      > I actually made this costume for a friend of mine. She's coming
                      out
                      > in a play about Toulouse and plays Nini Legs in the Air. I didn't
                      > make the corset tho. She already had one so I just sort
                      > of "designed" the dress around it. I also used the red and yellow
                      > as in the movie. I also played around with the patterns to sort
                      of
                      > make it my own. This is the first costume I've made from
                      scratch.
                      > I also just joined this group so if any one wants to see photos of
                      > the finished product just tell me how to post them and I would be
                      > glad to put them up.
                    • c_l_schmidt
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
                        Oops, that first post didn't contain anything. Well, I too would
                        like to see more photos. I haven't got started yet, and no accuracy
                        is not a big thing with me. I aim for a more Theatrical "feel of
                        it" rather than historical nit picking correctness. At least
                        mostly. Sometimes things have to be very period. But that is
                        neither here nor there. Some of the costumes I've made, including
                        an Elvis can be seen on my website www.costumes.ca.tc or
                        www3.sk.sympatico.ca/fashin (for the pop-up free version)

                        <thejoshuagoldberg@y...> wrote:
                        > I actually made this costume for a friend of mine. She's coming
                        out
                        > in a play about Toulouse and plays Nini Legs in the Air. I didn't
                        > make the corset tho. She already had one so I just sort
                        > of "designed" the dress around it. I also used the red and yellow
                        > as in the movie. I also played around with the patterns to sort
                        of
                        > make it my own. This is the first costume I've made from
                        scratch.
                        > I also just joined this group so if any one wants to see photos of
                        > the finished product just tell me how to post them and I would be
                        > glad to put them up.
                      • neimhaille
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
                          > Hi Micheala,
                          >
                          > For any embroidry digitizing assistance visit my
                          > website http://www.jiposoftech.com
                          > Regards,
                          > Jp.

                          Umm.. no idea why you chose to spam me, but I don't live anywhere
                          near you and I won't be shipping things overseas to be embroidered
                          when I can go local thank you.

                          Not that it has anything to do with uploading photos to the group...

                          michaela

                          > > Personally I would never post a decent sized file in
                          > > the photos
                          > > section, as it resizes them and no one but you can
                          > > see the full sized
                          > > iamge.
                          > >
                          > > You could put them in the files section:

                          > > If you are logged into yahoo you can just follow the
                          > > instructions to
                          > > add a file or create a new folder.
                          > >
                          > > However, I own
                          > > http://moulinrouge.glittersweet.com
                          > > and am willing to host photos for people with no
                          > > homepage. You could
                          > > send them to me, and I'll upload them asap. Then let
                          > > you and the
                          > > group know.
                          > >
                          > > This way many more people can see them too;) ANd you
                          > > still own all
                          > > right to the photo (rather than have yahoo be
                          > > allowed to use them or
                          > > whatever the terms of service actually says).
                          > >
                          > > Just an option. You can email me privately about it
                          > > if you like:)
                          > >
                          > > michaela
                          > > http://glittersweet.com

                          > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                        • Bonnie Prater
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 4, 2003
                            Here are a couple more film references for Can Can costumes:

                            Moulin Rouge 1952 with Jose Ferrer as Henri Toulouse-Latrec, the
                            painter who showed can can dancers to the general public, and Zza
                            Zza Gabor as Jane Avril, one of the stars of the Moulin Rouge.

                            Can-Can 1960 with Shirley Maclaine and Juliet Prowse as Can Can
                            dancers. This was hot enough in 1960 to make Soviet leader Nikita
                            Kruschev (sp), who visited the set, say it was "Immoral" and of
                            course generated more publicity for the film!
                          • thejoshuagoldberg
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 5, 2003
                              Alright, I just added a folder named Can-Can in which I've placed
                              some of the pictures I took of the costume a made. I would like for
                              you all to tell me what you think. Remember that this is the first
                              thing I've made so don't be too harsh. My friend gave me the corset
                              and I devolped the rest of the costume around it.
                            • Susan Cassidy
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 5, 2003
                                Joshua,
                                The costume is lovely--loved the color combination.
                                Susabela
                                Alright, I just added a folder named Can-Can in which I've placed
                                some of the pictures I took of the costume a made. I would like for
                                you all to tell me what you think. Remember that this is the first
                                thing I've made so don't be too harsh. My friend gave me the corset
                                and I devolped the rest of the costume around it.

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              • Love3angle
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 5, 2003
                                  That looks great! I love the colors and the gold fabric is really
                                  lovely. Good job!
                                  Alyxx
                                • neimhaille
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 6, 2003
                                    > Alright, I just added a folder named Can-Can in which I've placed
                                    > some of the pictures I took of the costume a made. I would like
                                    for
                                    > you all to tell me what you think. Remember that this is the first
                                    > thing I've made so don't be too harsh. My friend gave me the
                                    corset
                                    > and I devolped the rest of the costume around it.

                                    Most excellent rufflage:)

                                    It's just a pity we can't see it at the full file size:( 21kb of a
                                    119kb file makes a lot of detail get lost;)

                                    But yeah, most impressed by the ruffles, they look great:)

                                    ANd the colour scheme as well;) Sorry, got carried away with the
                                    ruffles;)

                                    michaela
                                    http://glittersweet.com