Creating a Custom Quorra Costume

  • don_mccunn
    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2011
      Hi All,

      There seems to be a strong interest in the costumes from the Disney movie "Tron: Legacy." Back in February I had the opportunity to make lookalike costumes for Quorra and Flynn for a corporate gig in the Silicon Valley.

      The Flynn costume was pretty easy as it was just three layers of wrap arounds. I started with a Dickie to minimize bulk, then a knee length vest, followed by a mid-calf coat.

      Quorra was the challenge. I used a very basic Princess seam for the fit. But the neck opening is too small to work as a pull over. After extensive research of every image I could find as well as going to see the movie, I could not determine the opening that was used to get the actress into the costume. Olivia Wilde, who played Quorra, mentioned it took a wardrobe crew to get her into the costume.

      It was also an interesting challenge to figure out how to construct a garment with a rigid armor-like look that was flexible enough for my actress to move in. When the movie was being made, the performers would rest on inclined platforms when they were off camera as sitting was not practical.

      For those of you who may be asked to create a lookalike costume, I just recently created a blog entry describing the basics of the journey I took to create my version.

      http://deofsf.com/blog/2011/05/18/creating-a-custom-quorra-costume/

      For those of you interested in photography the photo on my blog was taken using 350 watts of black light exclusively--got to love digital technology.

      I have included photos of both costumes on my Flickr account.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/don-mccunn/sets/72157626750818854/

      Best,
      Don McCunn
      http://How-to-Make-Sewing-Patterns.com/