Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] ISO a Bell-Sleeved Cloak/ Robe Pattern?!

  • ~lisa.s
    Message 1 of 88 , May 14, 2011
      Wade,

      I think you might be looking for a garment called a houpelande (also
      variously spelled *houpland or* houppelande and pronounced 'hoop-lond')
      Here's a quick Wiki link.

      http://cunnan.sca.org.au/wiki/Houpelande

      You might scout through patterns aimed at Society for Creative Anarchism. It
      doesn't sound as though you have a lot of sewing or costuming experience; if
      you did, I'd recommend the pattern in Hill & Bucknell's "The Evolution of
      Fashion". Without a good bit of knowledge Hill & Bucknell can make one
      crazy.

      As for a sewing book, you can't go wrong with the good old Vogue Sewing
      Book.

      Good luck,

      ~lisa.s who's finishing up loose ends for a production of "The Trial of
      Goldilocks" that opened next week...

      On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Wade MacMorrighan <Wade@...>wrote:

      > Hey guys, has anyone ever seen a pattern like this before, in any books, or
      > by any commercial pattern co.? It's VERY close to what I want! I figure, I
      > could elongate the sleeves, trim the length of the "cloak", sew it up the
      > front, and do away with the hood to achieve the results that I want! But,
      > then again, I'd want to line it, too. Though, I might have to be concerned
      > about a proper neck-line. Oh, and could anyone recommend any books on
      > sewing for beginners with learning the basics and various terms, etc.? I'm
      > always wanting to re-teach myself how to sew. :o)
      >

      > http://artemisia.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=116
      >

      > All my best,
      > Wade

      ~lisa.s <at>Gmail<dot>com

    • Wade MacMorrighan
      Message 88 of 88 , Jun 4, 2011
        That was ultimately the plan, ma'am! ;o) Well, something pretty darned close, any way. Heh heh heh...

        Jumping in here—might be easier to have black hooded cape/cloak with some kind of neutral, maybe magickal lining, and a separate different robe underneath for various rituals, featuring a significant color.
        Blessed be,
        Susan