train bustle

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2011
      This is such a wonderful group of seamstresses, I am hoping you might be able to help a usual lurker. I am trying to bustle a wedding dress for a friend of mine. There are 3 layers to the skirt: a lining, a satin and a chiffon. I have put two french under bustle points along the back seam. The bride preferred this cascading effect to the single drape. My problem is this. The lining and satin layers are perfect at the floor, however the chiffon layer is cut on a bias and hangs nearly 6" longer than the other layers. I have tried putting a couple small tacks of the chiffon layer to the satin layer which had little effect. I was afraid to put too many in and ruin the effect of the train when out. Am I worrying needlessly? I tried adding another connecting thread at the hem to the other 2 layers, but that really didn't help. I could hem the chiffon layer to the bustled position since that is how the dress will be worn the majority of the time, but that will ruin the train! The only other idea I have is to add a clear snap to the chiffon layer only on either side that would snap under the fold of the bustle. But I am concerned again about it showing and creating a "heavy spot" when the train is out. Am I on the right track? Can I pick your creative minds to assist me with a solution? I love how bias cut lays and moves, but it is such a challenge to work with. Pictures are posted under Karen's Photos.

      Thanks!!!
      -Karen