American flag for practice folding

  • Kimberly Stockton
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 6, 2011
      Hello group,

      I am in search of American "flags" to use for rehearsal on how to fold it
      properly. However, my company is Very concerned about it not being a real flag,
      but the same shape, and attributes of the flag. The colors can be different. It
      will be used many times over by children of all ages and probably dropped,
      thrown into bins... ect.

      Does anyone have a source for this type of flag? Thank you in advance.

      Kimberly D. Stockton

      SyRilla27@...

    • judycat@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 6, 2011
        What about using an ecology flag? Green/white stripes, green canton http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecology_Flag

        >I am in search of American "flags" to use for rehearsal on how to fold it
        >properly. However, my company is Very concerned about it not being a real flag,
        >but the same shape, and attributes of the flag. The colors can be different. It
        >will be used many times over by children of all ages and probably dropped,
        >thrown into bins... ect.
        >
        >Does anyone have a source for this type of flag? Thank you in advance.
        >
        > Kimberly D. Stockton

        Judy

        judycat@...
        http://colonialspinningbee.blogspot.com/
      • Jessica Cowan
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 6, 2011
          Hello all,
          I am looking for a source for wholesale 45" muslin, bleached and unbleached.
          I'd like to get it at around $1/yd, as that's the price I can get at JoAnns with
          a coupon, I just don't want to have to fuss with a coupon everytime I need it.
          Google searches have not yielded anything under around $2/yd.
          I am also trying to find a website where I can get all the basic notions
          wholesale.  One website has elastic but not bias tape.  Another has bias tape
          but not elastic.  I would really like to streamline the process of getting my
          basic supplies.  If anyone can recommend their favorite suppliers I'd be very
          grateful :-)  Thanks so much!
          Jess

        • Pat Rohrbach
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 6, 2011
            EE Schenck in Portland OR has everything at great prices. I use them a lot you must purchase full bolts and there is a min start up account thing not sure how much you must purchase the first time. I also get a discount for being a school so ask about discounts to.

            * The wizard of oz is the ultimate chick flick

            two women trying to kill each other over shoes

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 6, 2011
              I took a look and I hate sites that won't show you prices, even when you hit
              checkout.  All I got was a message that said  "You will be contacted to set up
              payment terms. "  I am not ordering anything without knowing prices!  Why won't
              it show what anything costs?  No doubt I'll hit submit order, and if something
              is a price I don't like they'll give me trouble...Sorry to rant but that really
              irritates me.
              Jess

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 6, 2011
                Oh I did not think of that , sorry I always order over the phone because they are so helpful when I want a sort of feel or look to a fabric. Also I live in Vancouver Wa just over the bridge so I usually go get my order. I think they will not do that once you have an account ?? I always ask over the phone for cost.

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 7, 2011
                  Or, at probably less expense, a piece of fabric the same length, width and
                  (possibly) weight of the flag that will actually be used. Growing up, we had
                  a flag pole in our yard. My dad was an Eagle Scout and my brother became one
                  too. Dad taught us the proper handling of the flag using an old Army
                  blanket--the method is always the same no matter the size of the flag.

                  ~lisa.s

                  On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 2:49 PM, <judycat@...> wrote:

                  > What about using an ecology flag? Green/white stripes, green canton
                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecology_Flag

                  ~lisa.s <at>Gmail<dot>com

                • GCKidd
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 7, 2011
                    Your simplest option? Just make a muslin mock-up of a flag. Worrying about the right 'feel' is pointless, because you can get flags made in a variety of materials, anything from heavyweight cotton to rip-stop nylon (there are probably more options, but those are some that I've seen), and for the 'proper' folding technique, the material will actually have very little impact overall (as long as it actually folds...but you can fold a piece of paper the same way you're supposed to fold the flag...)

                    Draw on the details (stripes, field, stars)...they don't even need to be accurate, just indicative so that they know which side of the flag to fold. You could even use colored markers, or (if you use absorbent material) watered-down acrylic paint. The only detail you really have to worry about in terms of making it a good 'practice' flag is making sure you get the proportions accurate (because you can get the flag in a massive variety of dimensions, as well...)

                    And, since it's just muslin, there's no concern about damage or mistreatment.

                    --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly Stockton <syrilla27@...> wrote:

                    > Hello group,
                    >
                    > I am in search of American "flags" to use for rehearsal on how to fold it
                    > properly. However, my company is Very concerned about it not being a real flag,
                    > but the same shape, and attributes of the flag. The colors can be different. It
                    > will be used many times over by children of all ages and probably dropped,
                    > thrown into bins... ect.
                    >
                    > Does anyone have a source for this type of flag? Thank you in advance.
                    >
                    > Kimberly D. Stockton
                    >

                    > SyRilla27@...

                  • Jeanine
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 7, 2011
                      They probably need to verify that you are a legitimate business. I have
                      yet to find a site that has every thing I need in one place. Like
                      anything else you will need to do a lot of comparison shopping to find
                      out who has the best deal for what you need. Don't forget to look at
                      shipping policies and charges. You many loose out on that great item
                      price due to high shipping charges.

                      Jeanine

                      On 04/06/2011 11:17 PM, Jessica Cowan wrote:

                      > I took a look and I hate sites that won't show you prices, even when
                      > you hit
                      > checkout. All I got was a message that said "You will be contacted
                      > to set up
                      > payment terms. " I am not ordering anything without knowing prices!
                      > Why won't
                      > it show what anything costs? No doubt I'll hit submit order, and if
                      > something
                      > is a price I don't like they'll give me trouble...Sorry to rant but
                      > that really
                      > irritates me.
                      > Jess
                      >
                      > ________________________________
                      > From: Pat Rohrbach <pattyjo110@...

                    • kledzikj
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 7, 2011
                        I got some good deals online from Sew True. If you sign up for their email you make get even better deals. I just received a free shipping offer through next Monday. http://sewtrue.com/
                      • MountainRose57@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 7, 2011
                          bed sheets, cub scout book suggest usings them.

                          Billie C.
                          _http://thelifeofbilliec.blogspot.com/_
                          (http://thelifeofbilliec.blogspot.com/)

                        • retshopbuyer@charter.net