Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Coral crown

  • Cat Devereaux
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 3 2:02 PM
      Cheaper clay, and not needing baking, and lighter, are the new (like
      5ish years) kid's air dry clays. They come in different colors, but
      take pain fabulously. Think the stuff in by Crayola. It doesn't take a
      hard edge well, but for coral, would be fine. Just make sure you don't
      pick up one of the sets that have "texture" in them.

      -Cat-
    • Susan Toker
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 3 2:24 PM
        You might also want to visit a fish store. They might have some fake coral
        that you can encorporated in your design.

        On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Cat Devereaux <
        CatDevereaux@...> wrote:

        > Cheaper clay, and not needing baking, and lighter, are the new (like
        > 5ish years) kid's air dry clays. They come in different colors, but
        > take pain fabulously. Think the stuff in by Crayola. It doesn't take a
        > hard edge well, but for coral, would be fine. Just make sure you don't
        > pick up one of the sets that have "texture" in them.
        >
        > -Cat-

      • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 3 9:15 PM
          Like Cat says - the Crayola stuff - Model Magic. Several years ago
          we did a group costume - one of the characters needed a dragon-head
          bodice. The person who made it (and the headpiece) used Model Magic
          over a light wire armature. It's basically moldable foam - so it's
          VERY light when dry. It will stick to itself, so adding bits even
          after it dries is easy, and it is sandable (lightly), paintable, and
          glues well with just Elmer's glue. It's pretty sturdy, esp. over a
          wire frame, and if a bit comes off, just a dab of Elmers' will fix it.

          Her advice was to get the cans rather than the pouches if you can, as
          it will stay moist longer.

          HTH,
          Sandy

          At 04:02 PM 4/3/2011, you wrote:

          >Cheaper clay, and not needing baking, and lighter, are the new (like
          >5ish years) kid's air dry clays. They come in different colors, but
          >take pain fabulously. Think the stuff in by Crayola. It doesn't take a
          >hard edge well, but for coral, would be fine. Just make sure you don't
          >pick up one of the sets that have "texture" in them.
          >
          >-Cat-

          "Those Who Fail to Learn History
          Are Doomed to Repeat It;
          Why They Are Simply Doomed."

          Achemdro'hm
          "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
          -- C. Y. 4971

          Andromeda
        • Cat Devereaux
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 3 10:10 PM
            >> Her advice was to get the cans rather than the pouches if you can, as
            it will stay moist longer.

            And a discovery beyond that. If the stuff gets dry-ish and kinda yanks
            appart vs. stretches, add a bit of water at at time and kneed the water
            in. You'll get very slimmy fingers. Scrape the slime and kneed while
            watching TV... it will come back to original consistency, and then drys
            just fine. I was surprised it came all the way back.

            (Discovered when I was short on time, and short on clay to finish
            something for the nieces.)

            Oh, and the stuff will also work for a quick cast. Again, not hard
            detail, but good for shapes for something you press in. Do remember to
            spray w/ pam or something for mold release. Don't get it too web even
            when fully dried unless you've sealed it. Doesn't last a long time...
            but cheap and quick for shapes . Filmo pushes in. Buttons worked nice.
            w/o having to go to the two part compounds which perfection is not required.

            -Cat-
          • Sylvia Rognstad
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 3 10:22 PM
              Thanks all for the clay suggestions. Now I need to know what might
              work better as a frame than chicken wire. I'm so craft challenged.

              Sylvia Rognstad
              Costume/clothing design & construction
              Alterations & home dec
              http://www.ezzyworld.com

              On Apr 3, 2011, at 11:10 PM, Cat Devereaux wrote:

              > >> Her advice was to get the cans rather than the pouches if you
              > can, as
              > it will stay moist longer.
              >
              > And a discovery beyond that. If the stuff gets dry-ish and kinda yanks
              > appart vs. stretches, add a bit of water at at time and kneed the
              > water
              > in. You'll get very slimmy fingers. Scrape the slime and kneed while
              > watching TV... it will come back to original consistency, and then
              > drys
              > just fine. I was surprised it came all the way back.
              >
              > (Discovered when I was short on time, and short on clay to finish
              > something for the nieces.)
              >
              > Oh, and the stuff will also work for a quick cast. Again, not hard
              > detail, but good for shapes for something you press in. Do remember to
              > spray w/ pam or something for mold release. Don't get it too web even
              > when fully dried unless you've sealed it. Doesn't last a long time...
              > but cheap and quick for shapes . Filmo pushes in. Buttons worked nice.
              > w/o having to go to the two part compounds which perfection is not
              > required.
              >
              > -Cat-

            • Cat Devereaux
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3 11:34 PM
                >> Thanks all for the clay suggestions. Now I need to know what might
                work better as a frame than chicken wire. I'm so craft challenged.

                Just over stressing it. Breath a bit.

                A lot of costuming, especially the crafting part can be play.

                Think about how making a muslin takes the stress out of patterning. You
                can play with bits...

                With the Crayola stuff being so light, you just need wire that you can
                bend and shape. I've got an old wad of telephone wire I clip a chunk
                out of and play with. Copper's too expensive for them to leave it on
                the street anymore... but just any scrap you've got.

                Crowns, depending on their width and shape, I normally start with either
                a head band or a piece soft cardboard. I love the 12 pack drink boxes.
                Glue gun to combine/stabilize pieces... extend wire, then clay over.

                A bit of sanding (you can just use nail files even), and paint blend
                this all together.

                Add a bit of glitter, or a few rhinestones and no one notices the
                blended edges.

                -Cat-
              • Dina
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 4 7:24 AM
                  Wire and tool dip.

                  Dina

                  --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Melissa McConnell <malenkia@...> wrote:

                  > I've done something like this out of Femo clay and I think you'd get
                  > better texture with it. You may even be able to find the right color
                  > or use a few different ones. And it you want it to be more "sturdy"
                  > you can for the clay around a wire frame, it doesn't get baked at a
                  > hot enough temp to affect the wire.
                  >
                  > Good Luck!

                  > On Apr 3, 2011, at 8:51 AM, Sylvia Rognstad wrote:
                  >
                  > > I want to make a crown that looks like it is out of coral. I was
                  > > thinking of making a chicken wire frame, weaving pipe cleaners
                  > > through it to simulate the coral and then adding grout for more shape
                  > > and dimension to the coral. I haven't done much costume craft work,
                  > > so there are probably more modern materials that I could use, but I'm
                  > > not familiar with any of them. Are there better ideas than chicken
                  > > wire for making a sturdy but fairly invisible frame? And other
                  > > suggestions for the coral that will be lightweight? Thanks!
                  > >

                  > > Sylvia Rognstad
                  > > Costume/clothing design & construction
                  > > Alterations & home dec
                  > > http://www.ezzyworld.com

                • Sylvia Rognstad
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 4 7:25 AM
                    I need some wire that will bend but hold its shape once you've got it
                    in the shape you want. And I figure I need to be able to weave it
                    together so I have a frame to add the coral pieces onto. That why I
                    was thinking chicken wire, but I hate to work with that stuff if
                    there's something better.

                    On Apr 4, 2011, at 12:34 AM, Cat Devereaux wrote:

                    > >> Thanks all for the clay suggestions. Now I need to know what might
                    > work better as a frame than chicken wire. I'm so craft challenged.
                    >
                    > Just over stressing it. Breath a bit.
                    >
                    > A lot of costuming, especially the crafting part can be play.
                    >
                    > Think about how making a muslin takes the stress out of patterning.
                    > You
                    > can play with bits...
                    >
                    > With the Crayola stuff being so light, you just need wire that you can
                    > bend and shape. I've got an old wad of telephone wire I clip a chunk
                    > out of and play with. Copper's too expensive for them to leave it on
                    > the street anymore... but just any scrap you've got.
                    >
                    > Crowns, depending on their width and shape, I normally start with
                    > either
                    > a head band or a piece soft cardboard. I love the 12 pack drink boxes.
                    > Glue gun to combine/stabilize pieces... extend wire, then clay over.
                    >
                    > A bit of sanding (you can just use nail files even), and paint blend
                    > this all together.
                    >
                    > Add a bit of glitter, or a few rhinestones and no one notices the
                    > blended edges.
                    >
                    > -Cat-

                  • Sylvia Rognstad
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 4 8:20 AM
                      tool dip? What is that? What kind of wire?

                      On Apr 4, 2011, at 8:24 AM, Dina wrote:

                      > Wire and tool dip.
                      >
                      > Dina
                      >
                      > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Melissa McConnell
                      > <malenkia@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I've done something like this out of Femo clay and I think you'd get
                      > > better texture with it. You may even be able to find the right color
                      > > or use a few different ones. And it you want it to be more "sturdy"
                      > > you can for the clay around a wire frame, it doesn't get baked at a
                      > > hot enough temp to affect the wire.
                      > >
                      > > Good Luck!

                      > > On Apr 3, 2011, at 8:51 AM, Sylvia Rognstad wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > I want to make a crown that looks like it is out of coral. I was
                      > > > thinking of making a chicken wire frame, weaving pipe cleaners
                      > > > through it to simulate the coral and then adding grout for more
                      > shape
                      > > > and dimension to the coral. I haven't done much costume craft
                      > work,
                      > > > so there are probably more modern materials that I could use,
                      > but I'm
                      > > > not familiar with any of them. Are there better ideas than chicken
                      > > > wire for making a sturdy but fairly invisible frame? And other
                      > > > suggestions for the coral that will be lightweight? Thanks!
                      > > >

                      > > > Sylvia Rognstad
                      > > > Costume/clothing design & construction
                      > > > Alterations & home dec
                      > > > http://www.ezzyworld.com

                    • GCKidd
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 4 8:48 AM
                        With clays like they're talking about, you don't really need a full wire frame, just kind of a general core to stabilize it. You can get away with using the heavier gauges of florists' wire (available at most craft stores), and even build a frame out of that, if you really want the extra stability (it's relatively cheap, and it's a WHOLE lot easier to work with than chicken wire...) If you want something heavier than that, a lot of hardware stores carry steel wire in even heavier gauges (.14 or .16 gauge, even, which as wires go for craft work, is massive...) or even the wire they use for wire-feed welding (just make sure you get the stuff that doesn't have the flux core...you don't need it and it's more expensive.)

                        I've seen similar effects achieved by soaking a mesh fabric in glue and shaping it, however...the tricky thing is getting it to hold its shape while it dries, but once it's done, you don't need any wire frame and can paint it as easily as any clay. I've had my best success using cottons and woolens for such work...the synthetics generally don't absorb the glue as well, in my experience.

                        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:

                        > I need some wire that will bend but hold its shape once you've got it
                        > in the shape you want. And I figure I need to be able to weave it
                        > together so I have a frame to add the coral pieces onto. That why I
                        > was thinking chicken wire, but I hate to work with that stuff if
                        > there's something better.
                        >

                        > Sylvia Rognstad
                      • GCKidd
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 5 8:34 AM
                          Tool dip is a liquid rubber compound you can buy...you dip the handles of your tools in it (hence the name) to create a rubberized gripping surface. I've also used it to waterproof some cheap tin mugs that leaked like crazy, so they'd actually hold water, and I would imagine (after the frustrations of cleaning it up the few times I've used it) that you could also use it to create 'skid pads' on pants or re-cover exposed steel toes on boots, etc. It's pretty tenacious stuff. But if you don't have a ventilated area in your workshop, I wouldn't recommend it...the fumes can be a little something special.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 5 8:45 AM
                            I would suggest you take a look through a bigger hardware store or a
                            gardening center. There are already some coated/weather protected screening
                            options (similar to chicken wire) and maybe even coated wires.

                            There may also be some plastic options that would work and would be useful
                            too.

                            Susan

                          • retshopbuyer@charter.net
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 10 11:57 AM
                              what size does this crown need to be ?

                              depending on size you may need something heavier-
                              or lighter if it is not a very large elaborate thing-

                              i like the idea of pipe cleaners -
                              they already have a coral -like texture -
                              the tool dip (Plasti-dip) might totally hide the texture tho-

                              retshopbuyer

                              On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Sylvia Rognstad wrote:

                              I want to make a crown that looks like it is out of coral. I was
                              thinking of making a chicken wire frame, weaving pipe cleaners
                              through it to simulate the coral and then adding grout for more shape
                              and dimension to the coral. I haven't done much costume craft work,
                              so there are probably more modern materials that I could use, but I'm
                              not familiar with any of them. Are there better ideas than chicken
                              wire for making a sturdy but fairly invisible frame? And other
                              suggestions for the coral that will be lightweight? Thanks!

                              Sylvia Rognstad
                              Costume/clothing design & construction
                              Alterations & home dec
                              http://www.ezzyworld.com <http://www.ezzyworld.com>

                              <http://www.ezzyworld.com>
                              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

                            • Sylvia Rognstad
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 10 1:38 PM
                                Not too large. Ordinary crown size, if there is such a thing. I
                                have since found a couple products at joanns I have yet to try, but
                                look intriguing. One is a metal mesh they sell in the craft section
                                where the clay is, and the other is a green floral netting. Im
                                thinking one of those might work for the frame. Anyone tried them?