Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Tear Away Costume

  • Stickfries@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2 8:02 PM
      snap tape. Try to get at least 3 inches apart. If not, just do not
      snap every one. You can also try the magnets

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3 6:38 AM
        Try No Snag Velcro also known as Omni Tape. It only sticks to itself since the hooks and loops are together. It doesn't make such a loud ripping noise and is easy for actors to put back together. It won't grab every other fabric in it's path either..:) I get mine from Home Sew website in a big roll. It's much cheaper that way and you can then get a continous length for pants and such. Good luck.
        Smiles, Brandie:) Butte Opera House

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "A" <ann@...> wrote:

        > We are making tear away dresses for Guys and Dolls and I need to know any tricks anyone might have to offer.
        > Thanks!

      • GCKidd
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3 8:00 AM
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Stickfries@... wrote:

          > snap tape. Try to get at least 3 inches apart. If not, just do not
          > snap every one. You can also try the magnets
          <SNIP>

          I'll second this one. It flows and moves like regular material, unlike Velcro, which stiffens up the seam it's applied to (even the 'soft and flexible' stuff, which is a huge improvement, still adds a lot of bulk to seams.)

          The other advantage of snap tape over velcro is, velcro does NOT play well with finer fabrics (which many designers I've worked with like to use for dresses from that period). The hook side of it loves to snag fabric.

          If the material for the dresses isn't something that will be chewed up by velcro, and you don't want to fuss with snap tape (which can be a little awkward to sew on, sometimes, although using a zipper foot helps a LOT), you can get away with velcro...just use 1" tabs, spaced about 2-3 inches apart. They'll take even longer to sew down than the snap tape (since you're having to sew each individual pair of velcro tabs, rather than a single strip of snap tape), but if you've got other stitchers helping you who may not be up to snap tape, it's easier to sew down. You also don't get the sustained 'RRRRIP' of a long strip of velcro tearing away (although they still aren't as quiet as snap tape.)