Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] LOTR Arwen Gown

  • Cat Devereaux
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2011
      (Warning, lots of links ahead, in the messy part of our site. Use IE if
      you want/need word-wrap)

      >> http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Elf/Arwen/Green.htm I am having
      a devil of
      a time coming up with a good fabric for it. The shade of green is
      really weird,

      It's very weird, and not all folks can wear that color. When folks make
      it up, they often make it up in a lighter green w/ more blue vs.
      yellow. Things like sea foam green.

      You'll have a better shot finding another of these light greens. You
      need to check skin tone with these greens, and what the gal "expects"

      I did a really fast check on the scrapbook...

      Here's an ice green: http://aranelonline.bravehost.com/arwencor.html
      (Note pics are only on the bottom of the page)

      Here's a yellower green:
      http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/scrapbook/Elf_p/Nazareth_Dsc00395.jpg

      Note in both cases it works with the ladies, but the colors wouldn't
      work in reverse.

      >> and trying to find it in velvet to boot has been a challenge. I am
      not at all
      experienced with dying. Velvet is preferred, but another fabric could
      do in a
      pinch. Anyone have any ideas?

      IF silk velvet is out of your league, rayon velvet is less expensive.
      There's also that rayon crushed velvet... give you some more chances to
      get a color that works.

      Here's crushed velvet:
      http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/scrapbook/HeatherMM/Arwen.htm

      The 2nd links and this:
      http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/scrapbook/Karolina/Arw3a.jpg are
      both made from something other than velvet.

      Remember if you use a shearer fabric, you need to line the body piece.
      The sleeves can be shear, but you want clean lines on the body and
      opagueness. (Is that a word?)

      If you're not doing the silk velvet, is the shine more important, or is
      matte preferred?

      It's all about what's the most important part of the dress for the wearer.

      -Cat-
    • Kathryn O'Malley
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2011
        That doesn't look like "sea foam" to me...more like a pale, pale lime.
        The rayon/silk velvet available by the yard at Dharma takes dye like a
        dream. I used the silk dye, not celulose, and it worked well. I'm not sure
        what they recommend for that fabric.

        BLUEBIRD TEXTILES
        http://bluebirdtextiles.com/

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2011
          Exotic silks/thai silks has quite a few shades of silk velvet.

          Rayon velvet dyes beautifully. I think you can get it PFD from Dharma Trading.

          When I did a version of that gown, I used a swimsuit fabric that was a lovely pale green with a gold shimmer. You had to touch it to tell it was not a pile fabric.

          Dina