RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] Interview with a Vampire...

  • Laurie Taylor
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 25, 2011
      Actually, although Wikipedia is not completely reliable as a quotable source
      of information, it can be a good starting point for research and it does
      have a lot of costume history information.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Western_fashion

      That link takes you to a sort of gateway page to many of the fashion history
      pages on Wikipedia.

      As for your 1790's, you're looking at what is often referred to as the
      Directoire & Empire period, for what was happening in France after the
      French Revolution.

      Hope this helps.

      Laurie

      _____

      #1 which book would you guys recommend on learning fashion history??

      #2, whats the name of time period of Late 1790's
      Im doing an corset-based, baroque style costume,with bustle skirt ala
      Interview with a Vampire palor scene, and I dont want to sound like a
      complete novice when I describe it.

      Is that Baroque? Not sure... so please help.

      Thanx

      and Ciao

    • A
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 28, 2011
        Thank you, Laurie

        I did just that, just used my geeky history buff skills, and referred it at French Revolutionary period, Big hit at the party. Bustle skirt, corset.. cant go wrong.

        Yeah I saw that link before I wrote my message, but wanted something more involved, like an actual book to research.

        Kinda like an encyclopedia of clothing references.

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Laurie Taylor" <costumeraz1@...> wrote:

        > Actually, although Wikipedia is not completely reliable as a quotable source
        > of information, it can be a good starting point for research and it does
        > have a lot of costume history information.
        >

        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Western_fashion
        >

        > That link takes you to a sort of gateway page to many of the fashion history
        > pages on Wikipedia.
        >

        > As for your 1790's, you're looking at what is often referred to as the
        > Directoire & Empire period, for what was happening in France after the
        > French Revolution.
        >

        > Hope this helps.
        >

        > Laurie
        >

        > _____

      • Laurie Taylor
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 28, 2011
          The Wikipedia articles often do have a list of outside resources, both links
          to other websites and book titles that were referenced in the development of
          each wikipedia article. Those are way down at the bottom of each article,
          and can help you track down hard-copy resources.

          Laurie

          _____

          I did just that, just used my geeky history buff skills, and referred it at
          French Revolutionary period, Big hit at the party. Bustle skirt, corset..
          cant go wrong.

          Yeah I saw that link before I wrote my message, but wanted something more
          involved, like an actual book to research.

          Kinda like an encyclopedia of clothing references.

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:TheCostumersManifesto%40yahoogroups.com> , "Laurie Taylor"
          <costumeraz1@...> wrote:

          > Actually, although Wikipedia is not completely reliable as a quotable
          source
          > of information, it can be a good starting point for research and it does
          > have a lot of costume history information.
          >

          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Western_fashion
          >

          > That link takes you to a sort of gateway page to many of the fashion
          history
          > pages on Wikipedia.
          >

          > As for your 1790's, you're looking at what is often referred to as the
          > Directoire & Empire period, for what was happening in France after the
          > French Revolution.
          >

          > Hope this helps.
          >

          > Laurie
          >

          > _____
          >
          > From: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:TheCostumersManifesto%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Interview with a Vampire...
          >

          > Hey guys,
          >
          > Hunnybunny here, costume hobbist, dont hate.. I actually make money off
          alot
          > of this stuff. LOL
          >
          > Have a question... few actually
          >
          > #1 which book would you guys recommend on learning fashion history??
          >
          > #2, whats the name of time period of Late 1790's
          > Im doing an corset-based, baroque style costume,with bustle skirt ala
          > Interview with a Vampire palor scene, and I dont want to sound like a
          > complete novice when I describe it.
          >
          > Is that Baroque? Not sure... so please help.
          >
          > Thanx
          >
          > and Ciao

        • Jessica Cowan
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 28, 2011
            Hello all,
            I've got a request for an Arwen Coronation gown - that's the light green one she
            wears at the end of movie #3.
            http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Elf/Arwen/Green.htm%c2%a0 I am having a devil of
            a time coming up with a good fabric for it.  The shade of green is really weird,
            and trying to find it in velvet to boot has been a challenge.  I am not at all
            experienced with dying.  Velvet is preferred, but another fabric could do in a
            pinch.  Anyone have any ideas?

          • Pat Rohrbach
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 28, 2011
              Well I know that that fabric was dyed that color just to match her skin tone beautifully and still be the green that the designer wanted. I to have looked for it and know it is silk velvet that can be dyed but I don’t know where and how darn it. If you do find it please let me know as well.

              * The wizard of oz is the ultimate chick flick

              two women trying to kill each other over shoes

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 28, 2011
                (Warning, lots of links ahead, in the messy part of our site. Use IE if
                you want/need word-wrap)

                >> http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Elf/Arwen/Green.htm I am having
                a devil of
                a time coming up with a good fabric for it. The shade of green is
                really weird,

                It's very weird, and not all folks can wear that color. When folks make
                it up, they often make it up in a lighter green w/ more blue vs.
                yellow. Things like sea foam green.

                You'll have a better shot finding another of these light greens. You
                need to check skin tone with these greens, and what the gal "expects"

                I did a really fast check on the scrapbook...

                Here's an ice green: http://aranelonline.bravehost.com/arwencor.html
                (Note pics are only on the bottom of the page)

                Here's a yellower green:
                http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/scrapbook/Elf_p/Nazareth_Dsc00395.jpg

                Note in both cases it works with the ladies, but the colors wouldn't
                work in reverse.

                >> and trying to find it in velvet to boot has been a challenge. I am
                not at all
                experienced with dying. Velvet is preferred, but another fabric could
                do in a
                pinch. Anyone have any ideas?

                IF silk velvet is out of your league, rayon velvet is less expensive.
                There's also that rayon crushed velvet... give you some more chances to
                get a color that works.

                Here's crushed velvet:
                http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/scrapbook/HeatherMM/Arwen.htm

                The 2nd links and this:
                http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/scrapbook/Karolina/Arw3a.jpg are
                both made from something other than velvet.

                Remember if you use a shearer fabric, you need to line the body piece.
                The sleeves can be shear, but you want clean lines on the body and
                opagueness. (Is that a word?)

                If you're not doing the silk velvet, is the shine more important, or is
                matte preferred?

                It's all about what's the most important part of the dress for the wearer.

                -Cat-
              • Kathryn O'Malley
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2011
                  That doesn't look like "sea foam" to me...more like a pale, pale lime.
                  The rayon/silk velvet available by the yard at Dharma takes dye like a
                  dream. I used the silk dye, not celulose, and it worked well. I'm not sure
                  what they recommend for that fabric.

                  BLUEBIRD TEXTILES
                  http://bluebirdtextiles.com/

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 1, 2011
                    Exotic silks/thai silks has quite a few shades of silk velvet.

                    Rayon velvet dyes beautifully. I think you can get it PFD from Dharma Trading.

                    When I did a version of that gown, I used a swimsuit fabric that was a lovely pale green with a gold shimmer. You had to touch it to tell it was not a pile fabric.

                    Dina