Wet Looks and Clothing

  • Wanna
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 22, 2011
      I want to make a couple of miniature dolls; one that is dripping wet, and the other that has a moist look, perhaps with droplets in her hair, down her face and arms and a damp look to her clothing.

      I have achieved wet looks in the past, but I wanted to consult the experts because I haven't done entire dolls in this manner.

      Can anyone advise me how to achieve these looks for dolls whose clothing I will make by gluing on the various parts, as opposed to sewing?

      Thanks for any help you can give,

      WANNA
      http://wannainelpaso.com

    • Claudia Hill
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 23, 2011
        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 23, 2011
          While I've never tried it, the first thing that comes to mind for the dripping wet look, at least, would be to soak the material in clear acrylic medium (Polycrylic, I think, is one of the brand names)--it emulates the effect of polyurethane (clear-coat) without the noxious fumes or extra-long drying period. If you used a gloss-finish, it should end up with that wet sheen (and the medium would also help glue the material to the doll).

          Like I said, no guarantees that this will work...never tried it. But I THINK it would accomplish the kind of effect you seem to be describing.

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Wanna <jayceenep@...> wrote:

          > I want to make a couple of miniature dolls; one that is dripping wet, and the other that has a moist look, perhaps with droplets in her hair, down her face and arms and a damp look to her clothing.
          >
          > I have achieved wet looks in the past, but I wanted to consult the experts because I haven't done entire dolls in this manner.
          >
          > Can anyone advise me how to achieve these looks for dolls whose clothing I will make by gluing on the various parts, as opposed to sewing?
        • Pat Rohrbach
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 23, 2011
            Claudia do you have any Pictures of this costume I would love to see it.

            * The wizard of oz is the ultimate chick flick

            two women trying to kill each other over shoes

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 23, 2011
              Pat,

              The pictures I have are not detailed enough to show how the raindrops were
              made.   I'll get some close-ups and put them on the group picture base.

              Claudia

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 23, 2011
                Great that would be fun to see.

                Thank you

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 24, 2011
                  Thanks to Gerald and Claudia for your excellent suggestions on my quest for the wetness looks in making my dolls. When I get them finished, I will share pictures.

                  I do appreciate your taking the time to respond to my question.

                  WANNA
                  http://wannainelpaso.com