Re: Female fashions of the 1990s and the aughts

  • Linda from SD
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 21, 2011
      Since the ages seem to coincide with my older sister, here are a few thoughts:
      Pleated pants remained a norm thru the 90's. Khaki seemed to be a favorite. Waists were at the natural waistline. Legs were straight or tapered towards the ankle. Dresses were often either very shapeless and to mid-calf or knee-length and slightly sheath like. Shoulder pads became a no-no for average women so shoulders got droopy. Camp shirts in "lovely" poly-crepe and graphic designed sweaters worked for a while. Oh, and don't forget the slinky knits.

      Two-thousand - Argh - loose the pleated pants! Bootcut jeans became popular again as did a variety of almost 70's fashions. Knit shirts in prints. Lycra in just about everything. If you characters are older, a great brand is Alfred Dunner. Sporty but mature.

      Hope this helps a bit.
      Linda
    • Renee Schmutz-Sowards
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 22, 2011
        LOL...sorry, no real help here, just had to say I'd forgotten about the dresses that were "in" then till I read this post....ugh!

        No wonder I went the grunge/computer hacker look myself...vi va la flannel shirt! (oversized of course!)

        Renee

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 6, 2011
          As I recall, a lot of women in their 50s and up in the 1990s wore dressy track suits with metallic sneakers. My mother did, and she bought me a couple--track suits, not sneakers. And I wore them in public, God help me. I remember a purple and pink set that I wore a lot. Yikes. I think every retired woman shopped on QVC in those days...

          Terry