Re: Female fashions of the 1990s and the aughts

  • brandie_mysillybluehippo
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 21, 2011
      Sylvia,
      The 90's went through a "grunge" era. Clothing was loose fitting, the "boyfriend" jean was in, as well as the mens shirt. Jeans started to drop off the waist onto the hips and legs were straight. Oversized button down shirts were worn over simple tees. Skater shoes became popular.

      http://childrenofthenineties.blogspot.com/2010/04/grunge-style-and-fashion.html

      Heres more info on Womens fashion.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990s_in_fashion

      The early 2000's haven't seen any dramtic changes until recently when the jean rise has finally gone back up and the skinny jean has seen a resurgence in popularity. Also recently wearable artwork has become popular. Tee's with complex silk screening and detailed artistic pictures have become common. Along with subtle dye techniques.

      If your leaning more towards teen style, try googling steampunk. This wildly popular fashion style is a distressed Victorian/World/Time Traveler mix. Maybe just add one or two subtle elements. It a little over the top.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000s_in_fashion

      Good Luck!!
      Brandie Larsen www.butteoperahouse.com
    • Linda from SD
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 21, 2011
        Since the ages seem to coincide with my older sister, here are a few thoughts:
        Pleated pants remained a norm thru the 90's. Khaki seemed to be a favorite. Waists were at the natural waistline. Legs were straight or tapered towards the ankle. Dresses were often either very shapeless and to mid-calf or knee-length and slightly sheath like. Shoulder pads became a no-no for average women so shoulders got droopy. Camp shirts in "lovely" poly-crepe and graphic designed sweaters worked for a while. Oh, and don't forget the slinky knits.

        Two-thousand - Argh - loose the pleated pants! Bootcut jeans became popular again as did a variety of almost 70's fashions. Knit shirts in prints. Lycra in just about everything. If you characters are older, a great brand is Alfred Dunner. Sporty but mature.

        Hope this helps a bit.
        Linda
      • GCKidd
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 21, 2011
          Still here and lurking, most of the time...*grin*

          Seems like the thrift stores in this area are loaded with fashions from the 90's and (early) 00's. So much so that I had a really difficult time finding a 70's-era suit and shirt for the last show I was in (since I was a costumer, the director/designer let me costume myself). It depends on the store, of course...the last time the park sent me costume-shopping in LA, we hit some thrift stores down there for costumes for an 80's music revue, but there was a LOT of stuff in there that was older. But between the magazines (great suggestion!) and thrift stores in your area, it shouldn't be too difficult to come up with some really good stuff.

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:

          > This list is not very active anymore. I hope some of you are still
          > here. I have a question regarding a play I'm going to design very
          > soon. Although I haven't read it yet (Dixie Swim Club) my
          > understanding is that it revolves around meetings of 5 women over a
          > period spanning the 1970s to the present.
          <SNIP>
        • Renee Schmutz-Sowards
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 22, 2011
            LOL...sorry, no real help here, just had to say I'd forgotten about the dresses that were "in" then till I read this post....ugh!

            No wonder I went the grunge/computer hacker look myself...vi va la flannel shirt! (oversized of course!)

            Renee

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 6, 2011
              As I recall, a lot of women in their 50s and up in the 1990s wore dressy track suits with metallic sneakers. My mother did, and she bought me a couple--track suits, not sneakers. And I wore them in public, God help me. I remember a purple and pink set that I wore a lot. Yikes. I think every retired woman shopped on QVC in those days...

              Terry