Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Female fashions of the 1990s and the aughts

  • Paula McWhirter-Buck
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 20, 2011
      one of the actresses' mother moved into an assisted living home just before the show went up.  they weeded out some of her clothes during the move and donated several things to the costume department that i used for the final scene.  so...think your mom.

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 20, 2011
        Mom's gone, bless her soul, but the theatre has had a lot of
        donations of vintage clothes in the past few years. And, although of
        course, I lived through the 90s, not to mention, the 50s and up, I
        feel much more familiar, for some reason, with the 50s- thru 80s.

        On Feb 20, 2011, at 11:28 AM, Paula McWhirter-Buck wrote:

        > one of the actresses' mother moved into an assisted living home
        > just before the show went up. they weeded out some of her clothes
        > during the move and donated several things to the costume
        > department that i used for the final scene. so...think your mom.
        >
        > "THE TIME HAS COME", THE WALRUS SAID,"TO TALK OF MANY THINGS.
        >
        > OF SHOES, AND SHIPS AND SEALING WAX, OF CABBAGES AND KINGS.
        >
        > AND WHY THE SEA IS BOILING HOT, AND WHETHER PIGS HAVE WINGS."

      • Janice Kledzik
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 20, 2011
          When in doubt I try to find TV shows from that era. Try Seinfeld and
          Ally McBeal.
        • Sylvia Rognstad
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 20, 2011
            Good idea. Thanks.

            On Feb 20, 2011, at 1:19 PM, Janice Kledzik wrote:

            > When in doubt I try to find TV shows from that era. Try Seinfeld and
            > Ally McBeal.

          • Maddy
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 20, 2011
              Seems to me that since 1990, jeans and t-shirts are the American uniform.
              They've taken the place of the Chinese pajama look popular in China. This
              is just my opinion not a professional one.

              gypzymoon

              On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:

              > Good idea. Thanks.
              >

              > Sylvia Rognstad
              > Costume/clothing design & construction
              > Alterations & home dec
              > http://www.ezzyworld.com
              >
              > On Feb 20, 2011, at 1:19 PM, Janice Kledzik wrote:
              >
              > > When in doubt I try to find TV shows from that era. Try Seinfeld and
              > > Ally McBeal.

              gypzymoon
              A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

            • Melissa Humbert
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 20, 2011
                Many libraries also keep an archive of magazines, including fashion and
                entertainment titles. How far back may depend on the space they have,
                but larger libraries may have them back to at least the 1990s.

                Melissa
              • Paula McWhirter-Buck
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 20, 2011
                  but keep in mind....by the end of the play the women are in their 60's.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 20, 2011
                    I've felt that way though since much earlier--maybe as early as the
                    1960s.

                  • DJCPoland@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 20, 2011
                      Regarding the American "uniform" of blue jeans and a T-shirt. The cut and the decoration of the jeans has varied a lot. Was it the 90's when there was a year that the waistbands were cut off and raw edges were everywhere? Or was that when "paperbag" waist bands were in? Were there pleats or cuffs? What was the most popular arrangement of the pockets? For that matter, which brand was in? A particular brand that was hot and is now defunct could define an era as could a certain style or placement of embroidery. In 2003, the embroidery was down the front of the hip below the front pocket, and denim jackets had raw edges. (I know becase I designed one of those embroideries for a fashion company.)

                      A T-shirt that was "everywhere", including a political T-shirt might as well. I've got a Geradine Ferraro (first woman VP candidate) T-shirt that I hope will be valuable someday.

                      Just a few ideas if you do use the uniform for any particular time period or character type.

                      Donna Carty

                    • Maddy
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 20, 2011
                        And I am 63; Jeans were not worn until the 60's. but by the 80's and
                        90's, they were acceptable everywhere. We did not wear pants to work or
                        school until the 60's, then all hell broke loose. Now you can wear jeans
                        anywhere. Just add a jacket and/or some pearls to dress up the top.

                        gypzymoon

                        On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:

                        > I've felt that way though since much earlier--maybe as early as the
                        > 1960s.
                        >

                        > Sylvia Rognstad
                        > Costume/clothing design & construction
                        > Alterations & home dec
                        > http://www.ezzyworld.com
                        >
                        > On Feb 20, 2011, at 2:21 PM, Maddy wrote:
                        >
                        > > Seems to me that since 1990, jeans and t-shirts are the American
                        > > uniform.
                        > > They've taken the place of the Chinese pajama look popular in
                        > > China. This
                        > > is just my opinion not a professional one.
                        > >
                        > > gypzymoon
                        > >
                        > > On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...>
                        > > wrote:
                        > >

                        > > > Good idea. Thanks.
                        > > >

                        > > > Sylvia Rognstad
                        > > > Costume/clothing design & construction
                        > > > Alterations & home dec
                        > > > http://www.ezzyworld.com

                        > > Seinfeld and

                        > > --
                        > >
                        > > gypzymoon
                        > > A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

                        gypzymoon
                        A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

                      • brandie_mysillybluehippo
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 21, 2011
                          Sylvia,
                          The 90's went through a "grunge" era. Clothing was loose fitting, the "boyfriend" jean was in, as well as the mens shirt. Jeans started to drop off the waist onto the hips and legs were straight. Oversized button down shirts were worn over simple tees. Skater shoes became popular.

                          http://childrenofthenineties.blogspot.com/2010/04/grunge-style-and-fashion.html

                          Heres more info on Womens fashion.
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990s_in_fashion

                          The early 2000's haven't seen any dramtic changes until recently when the jean rise has finally gone back up and the skinny jean has seen a resurgence in popularity. Also recently wearable artwork has become popular. Tee's with complex silk screening and detailed artistic pictures have become common. Along with subtle dye techniques.

                          If your leaning more towards teen style, try googling steampunk. This wildly popular fashion style is a distressed Victorian/World/Time Traveler mix. Maybe just add one or two subtle elements. It a little over the top.

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000s_in_fashion

                          Good Luck!!
                          Brandie Larsen www.butteoperahouse.com
                        • Linda from SD
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 21, 2011
                            Since the ages seem to coincide with my older sister, here are a few thoughts:
                            Pleated pants remained a norm thru the 90's. Khaki seemed to be a favorite. Waists were at the natural waistline. Legs were straight or tapered towards the ankle. Dresses were often either very shapeless and to mid-calf or knee-length and slightly sheath like. Shoulder pads became a no-no for average women so shoulders got droopy. Camp shirts in "lovely" poly-crepe and graphic designed sweaters worked for a while. Oh, and don't forget the slinky knits.

                            Two-thousand - Argh - loose the pleated pants! Bootcut jeans became popular again as did a variety of almost 70's fashions. Knit shirts in prints. Lycra in just about everything. If you characters are older, a great brand is Alfred Dunner. Sporty but mature.

                            Hope this helps a bit.
                            Linda
                          • GCKidd
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 21, 2011
                              Still here and lurking, most of the time...*grin*

                              Seems like the thrift stores in this area are loaded with fashions from the 90's and (early) 00's. So much so that I had a really difficult time finding a 70's-era suit and shirt for the last show I was in (since I was a costumer, the director/designer let me costume myself). It depends on the store, of course...the last time the park sent me costume-shopping in LA, we hit some thrift stores down there for costumes for an 80's music revue, but there was a LOT of stuff in there that was older. But between the magazines (great suggestion!) and thrift stores in your area, it shouldn't be too difficult to come up with some really good stuff.

                              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:

                              > This list is not very active anymore. I hope some of you are still
                              > here. I have a question regarding a play I'm going to design very
                              > soon. Although I haven't read it yet (Dixie Swim Club) my
                              > understanding is that it revolves around meetings of 5 women over a
                              > period spanning the 1970s to the present.
                              <SNIP>
                            • Renee Schmutz-Sowards
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 22, 2011
                                LOL...sorry, no real help here, just had to say I'd forgotten about the dresses that were "in" then till I read this post....ugh!

                                No wonder I went the grunge/computer hacker look myself...vi va la flannel shirt! (oversized of course!)

                                Renee

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 6, 2011
                                  As I recall, a lot of women in their 50s and up in the 1990s wore dressy track suits with metallic sneakers. My mother did, and she bought me a couple--track suits, not sneakers. And I wore them in public, God help me. I remember a purple and pink set that I wore a lot. Yikes. I think every retired woman shopped on QVC in those days...

                                  Terry