Body microphone belt

  • ~lisa.s
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 22, 2010
      Does anyone have a pattern for body mic belt? When necessary I've always
      relied on either a wide elastic bandage to hold the transmitter in place or
      tucking it into a convenient pocket. Those options are not going to work for
      an upcoming show, so I thought, since I have the time, to build actual belts
      with a pocket.

      Thanks,

      ~lisa.s

      --
      ~lisa.s <at>Gmail<dot>com

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 22, 2010
        If the belt is for a female actor, we built a pack that was attached to a bra between the cleavage.

        On Dec 22, 2010, at 1:00 PM, "~lisa.s" <llsturts@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have a pattern for body mic belt? When necessary I've always
        > relied on either a wide elastic bandage to hold the transmitter in place or
        > tucking it into a convenient pocket. Those options are not going to work for
        > an upcoming show, so I thought, since I have the time, to build actual belts
        > with a pocket.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > ~lisa.s
        >
        > --
        > ~lisa.s <at>Gmail<dot>com

      • GCKidd
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 23, 2010
          Not so much a pattern, as a description of how we've done them...

          I work at an amusement park, and our performers are dancing (full-out) and singing, so keeping mics safe, intact, and safe from total saturation by sweat has always been an issue. But the best results have come from taking some wide elastic (4" is ideal, but 2", sewn down the middle, has also worked. 2" alone works okay, and would probably be fine for 'normal stage' use, but you'd have to mount the pocket differently...) Cut it to the performer's waist measurement, fold the ends over, and velcro the last 3-4" of either end to make the belt.

          Cut another piece of elastic, large enough to wrap around the mic pack when it is flat against the belt. Sew a strip of the loop side of the velcro, centered but at one edge of the outside of this (your mic pouch--works best if you use one of the finished edges of the elastic as the mouth of the pouch), then sew down the bottom and sides of the pouch (some folding and pinning may be necessary to get everything to lay flat). If you're using 4" elastic, you should be able to sew the sides of the pouch along the edge of the belt with no problem (other than it occasionally wanting to squirt out from under the presser foot.) Sew the matching strip of the hook tape for the velcro to the belt, just above the mouth of the pouch, so that when the mic pack is in the pouch, this velcro strip can be used to strap it in place.

          They can wear these under their costumes (over a t-shirt, if they're using one)...if you don't make the pouch too snug, you can still fit a condom over the pack and fit it in the pouch if you have someone who sweats a lot. Since you're starting with the performer's waist in length, by the time you've folded over the ends and added the overlap for the velcro (make sure the hook side points AWAY from the body...might make for a little light wear and tear on the inside of your costumes but it makes for far less chafing and complaining...and even occasionally bleeding...from your performers), the elastic of the belt is still enough to hold it fairly snug (some people may prefer it a little more loose...you can also make them larger and fold over excess in the belt to adjust the fit for comfort).

          Hope I've explained it clearly enough. It may be one of those things that seems really simple once you know what you're doing, but this design has worked so well for us that I've even had some of the places I've freelanced for ask me to make some for them...but if you have any questions, feel free to contact me and I'll do my best to clarify.

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "~lisa.s" <llsturts@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone have a pattern for body mic belt? When necessary I've always
          > relied on either a wide elastic bandage to hold the transmitter in place or
          > tucking it into a convenient pocket. Those options are not going to work for
          > an upcoming show, so I thought, since I have the time, to build actual belts
          > with a pocket.
          >

          > Thanks,
          >

          > ~lisa.s
          >
          > --
          > ~lisa.s <at>Gmail<dot>com

        • Pat Rohrbach
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 23, 2010
            That is a good idea . I use close to the same design and make them out of
            flannel which has a little stretch to it as well but is softer and will not
            cause a rash.

            Patricia

            Clark College Theater Program Coordinator/Costume Designer

            360 903-6162 Cell

            A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men."

            <mailto:TheCostumersManifesto%40yahoogroups.com> , "~lisa.s" <llsturts@...>
            wrote:

            > Does anyone have a pattern for body mic belt? When necessary I've always
            > relied on either a wide elastic bandage to hold the transmitter in place
            or
            > tucking it into a convenient pocket. Those options are not going to work
            for
            > an upcoming show, so I thought, since I have the time, to build actual
            belts
            > with a pocket.
            >

            > Thanks,
            >

            > ~lisa.s
            >
            > --
            > ~lisa.s <at>Gmail<dot>com

          • ~lisa.s
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 24, 2010
              Thanks, Curtis. You can always be counted upon for good advice.

              Lisa

              ~lisa.s <at>Gmail<dot>com