Costume History Research/Programs

  • lauren.klamm
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2010
      Hello,
      My name is Lauren and I currently live in LA. I received my MFA in Costume Design, but I have always been interested in costume history and research. I was wondering if anyone knew of any programs that may offer a concentration in Costume research/history. I am trying to find a way to channel my love of costumes, research, and history into something. I did a couple of research projects in Grad school, but I always felt I wanted to delve deeper but didn't have the resources or training to do so.Any guidance and advice would be very helpful.

      Thank you

      Lauren K.
    • Bo Persson
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2010
        Hi,

        Where do you want to study?

        I am in the UK and know where to study here.

        A friend of mine went to New York University on Manhattan.

        Regards,

        Bo Persson, M.A.
        Independent Dress Consultant & Researcher
        bo_persson@...
      • Robbin Davis
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2010
          Hi Lauren,

          FIT in NY has a two year graduate program in textile history. There are some other universities in the mid west that have significant historic costume collections and offer advanced degrees in textile history/historic costume. Colorado State in Ft Collins comes to mind as does another in eastern Kansas but the name of the university escapes me. Emporia? Kent state seems to have a good program too. Texas Women's University.

          Try to decide what you want to study, garments, laces, conservation, curatorial, etc. then take a look at the courses offered and the faculty to make your decision.

          Outside of traditional schooling, there are many books and websites that offer information on historic costume. I'm sure there are many folks on this list serve with excellent opinions about those.

          Kindest regards,

          Robbin
          Bohemian Heart Studio

          On Oct 31, 2010, at 2:53 PM, "lauren.klamm" <lauren.klamm@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          > My name is Lauren and I currently live in LA. I received my MFA in Costume Design, but I have always been interested in costume history and research. I was wondering if anyone knew of any programs that may offer a concentration in Costume research/history. I am trying to find a way to channel my love of costumes, research, and history into something. I did a couple of research projects in Grad school, but I always felt I wanted to delve deeper but didn't have the resources or training to do so.Any guidance and advice would be very helpful.
          >
          > Thank you
          >
          > Lauren K.

        • momewraith
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2010
            Hello

            NYU has a Master of Arts in Visual Culture with an emphasis in Costume Studies.

            Visit http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/art/costume.

            Good luck :)

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "lauren.klamm" <lauren.klamm@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            > My name is Lauren and I currently live in LA. I received my MFA in Costume Design, but I have always been interested in costume history and research. I was wondering if anyone knew of any programs that may offer a concentration in Costume research/history. I am trying to find a way to channel my love of costumes, research, and history into something. I did a couple of research projects in Grad school, but I always felt I wanted to delve deeper but didn't have the resources or training to do so.Any guidance and advice would be very helpful.
            >
            > Thank you
            >
            > Lauren K.

          • Robbin Davis
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 31, 2010
              Along these same lines, does anyone know of an online program for historic costume or visual culture?