RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] anybody have 1900 russian uniforms?

  • Carin JACOBS
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 27, 2010
      Yes! I just did the show and got the uniforms from Bob at AIEL in Texas. He is great to work with and will ship quickly. I had a couple of matching uniforms made for my larger guys, so if he doesn't have all of your sizes, contact Faye (costumerental@...) and ask about renting the larger ones. Bob has all of the medals and insignia (originals and replicas). I have attached photos of our production. After doing a lot of research, we determined the blue uniform with the red piping was actually the most historically accurate. The green is most commonly used, and is actually fine for the period as well. Here is Bob's info: Bob 214-417 2200 aiel@...

      Carin
      www.CarinJacobsCostumeDesign.com
      562-547-9276 cell

      To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
      From: keridwyn_98@...
      Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 06:42:22 -0700
      Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] anybody have 1900 russian uniforms?

      hi,
      i'm costuming THREE SISTERS (could you guess by the subject line?)
      and i'm in need of 6 russian uniforms (5 officers and 1 enlisted). green with red piping.
      i'm in western north carolina and i need them in 2 weeks to have them in time for tech week (the show was just cast last week). production dates are nov. 18-21st.
      rentals are not out of the question, but $ is tight (college theatre department production).
      sizes i need are
      enlisted.....jacket...40L.....pants...31W/34L
      the rest
      jacket...46L.....pants...36W/34L
      jacket...40L...pants...30W...33L
      jacket ...42 L.....pants...34W 32L
      jacket...44R.....pants...34W...32L
      jacket....38R...pants 28W...30L

      matching hats would be awesome.

      any ideas?

      brightest of blessings
      paula mcwhirter-buck
      costume designer/shop supervisor
      mars hill college theatre arts department
      mars hill, nc
      828-689-1385

    • lanorte1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 27, 2010
        I'm costuming Christmas Carol (who isn't, this time of year?) and just don't have the time to build pants. But my budget is limited, so I need to find something reasonably priced. Any suggestions?

        Thanks,

        Donna

      • Carin JACOBS
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 27, 2010
          Remember those high waisted pants we (women) used to wear in the 80's? Some of them even had peaked waistbands. I'm sure you could find some of those in thrift stores. They might have a few too many pleats in the front, but I think they could work for high-waisted men's tweed or wool pants. Just a thought....

          To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
          From: lanorte1@...
          Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:30:14 -0400
          Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Looking for men's high-waisted, Victorian-era pants

        • llsturts@greatlakes.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 27, 2010
            It depends on what "reasonably priced" means with your budget. I've had
            good luck with Gentleman's Emporium <http://www.gentlemansemporium.com>.

            ~lisa.s

            > I'm costuming Christmas Carol (who isn't, this time of year?) and just
            > don't have the time to build pants. But my budget is limited, so I need
            > to find something reasonably priced. Any suggestions?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Donna

            ~lisa.s llsturts<AT>greatlakes<DOT>net
          • lanorte1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 29, 2010
              Thanks, but most of my guys are pretty tall and even if I could find pants large enough, they would probably be too short. Not to mention, we open on November 18, so I just don't have time to hunt through thrift stores to find 25 pairs of mens pants. I'll probably end up getting several pairs from Gentlemen's Emporium - a little pricier than I'd like, but time is too short. Thank you!

              Donna

              From: lanorte1@...
              Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:30:14 -0400

              I'm costuming Christmas Carol (who isn't, this time of year?) and just don't have the time to build pants. But my budget is limited, so I need to find something reasonably priced. Any suggestions?

              Thanks,

              Donna

            • Paula McWhirter-Buck
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 30, 2010
                i just wanted to thank everyone for their help with finding these uniforms.i actually used LUTHER SOWERS at ANVIL ARMS in salisbury, nc, as suggested by esther iverson (thanks a million).the man is a jewel. he specializes in period military from all over the world.he went above and beyond...didnt have a size i needed, so made it, and rented it to me...with one week notice.  and taught me how to wear some of the things that i wasnt familiar with.he helped me make my tiny budget go as far as possible.
                and as a bonus...i got to see his fabulous colonial style house.
                blessings,paula