Re: Trouble sewing petticoats into skirts

  • NazKat
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 22, 2010
      I am happy to report that I figured out a way to make them work.

      Each petticoat was two layers and made for short skirts, so they were kinda small at the top. I could not sew them into longer skirts without needing a whole lot more of them. So I cut them off of the grosgrain ribbon they were gathered onto - and separated the two layers to make 2 pieces of now very long sections (they became much longer after the gathers were taken out at the top). Then I sewed a new piece of ribbon at the top, then measured 11 inches down from the waistband of the skirt and marked it with chalk. Then I sewed them along the chalk marks. The thread line is not noticeable from the front because the skirts have a lot of design and sequins all over them. Now the bottom of the ruffles are about an inch or so inside and above the hem. When I ran out of petticoat, I just pieced another prepared section in then sewed the pieces together along the adjoining ends.

      I am not a professional seamstress - far from it - but projects like this force me to figure how to get it done... I actually feel proud of myself! lol No one will see the workmanship underneath from the audience anyway! :-)

      Thanks for your help! I may have more questions again soon! The show goes up in Nov so I still have lots to do!

      Kat

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "GCKidd" <gckidd@...> wrote:

      > The way we've done this for the shows at our park (and we've done it a lot in the past few years, our current designer has quite a thing for petticoats and crinolines) is to set the petticoat into the dress/skirt where we need the waistband to line up, and then tack it into place using a few vertical stitches (most of ours also have elastic waistbands in them, and the vertical stitching doesn't compromise the stretch of the elastic and thus compromise the ability to slip them on in a hurry--it also doesn't give you a painfully obvious line of stitching that runs around the waist.)
      >
      > I'm not sure if that helps or not...I'm sure it's partly due to the hour, but I'm having a hard time visualizing what, exactly, you're describing, both as a problem and as a potential solution.
      >
      > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "NazKat" <nazkat@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I need some advice. I am trying to recycle old petticoats into some A-line skirts for Shipoopi dance (Music Man).*<SNIP>*

    • Paula McWhirter-Buck
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 27, 2010
        hi,
        i'm costuming THREE SISTERS (could you guess by the subject line?)
        and i'm in need of 6 russian uniforms (5 officers and 1 enlisted).  green with red piping.
        i'm in western north carolina and i need them in 2 weeks to have them in time for tech week (the show was just cast last week).  production dates are nov. 18-21st.
        rentals are not out of the question, but $ is tight (college theatre department production).
        sizes i need are
        enlisted.....jacket...40L.....pants...31W/34L
        the rest
        jacket...46L.....pants...36W/34L
        jacket...40L...pants...30W...33L
        jacket ...42 L.....pants...34W 32L
        jacket...44R.....pants...34W...32L
        jacket....38R...pants 28W...30L

        matching hats would be awesome.

        any ideas?

        brightest of blessings
        paula mcwhirter-buck
        costume designer/shop supervisor
        mars hill college theatre arts department
        mars hill, nc
        828-689-1385

      • Carin JACOBS
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 27, 2010
          Yes! I just did the show and got the uniforms from Bob at AIEL in Texas. He is great to work with and will ship quickly. I had a couple of matching uniforms made for my larger guys, so if he doesn't have all of your sizes, contact Faye (costumerental@...) and ask about renting the larger ones. Bob has all of the medals and insignia (originals and replicas). I have attached photos of our production. After doing a lot of research, we determined the blue uniform with the red piping was actually the most historically accurate. The green is most commonly used, and is actually fine for the period as well. Here is Bob's info: Bob 214-417 2200 aiel@...

          Carin
          www.CarinJacobsCostumeDesign.com
          562-547-9276 cell

          To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 27, 2010
            I'm costuming Christmas Carol (who isn't, this time of year?) and just don't have the time to build pants. But my budget is limited, so I need to find something reasonably priced. Any suggestions?

            Thanks,

            Donna

          • Carin JACOBS
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 27, 2010
              Remember those high waisted pants we (women) used to wear in the 80's? Some of them even had peaked waistbands. I'm sure you could find some of those in thrift stores. They might have a few too many pleats in the front, but I think they could work for high-waisted men's tweed or wool pants. Just a thought....

              To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
              From: lanorte1@...
              Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:30:14 -0400
              Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Looking for men's high-waisted, Victorian-era pants

            • llsturts@greatlakes.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 27, 2010
                It depends on what "reasonably priced" means with your budget. I've had
                good luck with Gentleman's Emporium <http://www.gentlemansemporium.com>.

                ~lisa.s

                > I'm costuming Christmas Carol (who isn't, this time of year?) and just
                > don't have the time to build pants. But my budget is limited, so I need
                > to find something reasonably priced. Any suggestions?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Donna

                ~lisa.s llsturts<AT>greatlakes<DOT>net
              • lanorte1@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 29, 2010
                  Thanks, but most of my guys are pretty tall and even if I could find pants large enough, they would probably be too short. Not to mention, we open on November 18, so I just don't have time to hunt through thrift stores to find 25 pairs of mens pants. I'll probably end up getting several pairs from Gentlemen's Emporium - a little pricier than I'd like, but time is too short. Thank you!

                  Donna

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 30, 2010
                    i just wanted to thank everyone for their help with finding these uniforms.i actually used LUTHER SOWERS at ANVIL ARMS in salisbury, nc, as suggested by esther iverson (thanks a million).the man is a jewel. he specializes in period military from all over the world.he went above and beyond...didnt have a size i needed, so made it, and rented it to me...with one week notice.  and taught me how to wear some of the things that i wasnt familiar with.he helped me make my tiny budget go as far as possible.
                    and as a bonus...i got to see his fabulous colonial style house.
                    blessings,paula