Trouble sewing petticoats into skirts

  • NazKat
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 12, 2010
      I need some advice. I am trying to recycle old petticoats into some A-line skirts for Shipoopi dance (Music Man). The two layer ruffled petticoats have several grosgrain ribbon tags at the top about 2 inches long, which elastic was threaded through for a waistband. They were short petticoats. I am trying to recycle them and use them under bigger skirts - not quite as full as poodle skirts, but very much like that. I tried making longer straps to hang from elastic, but that only works if they hang just below the butt. And still they seem a little hobbled the further down the leg you hang them. Should I cut the the 2 layers apart and put them end to end, then sew into the skirt? The skirt is pink cotton with some sequins on it. The ruffles on the petticoat are driving me crazy and make it hard to manipulate. I don't want to machine sew onto the skirt (don't want a thread line). I thought of buying short slips to sew the ruffles onto, but the cost is prohibitive (we use a lot of second hand clothes to make our costumes). Any ideas?

      Thanks - this is Kat, a fairly new member, but formerly a lurker.
    • GCKidd
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 19, 2010
        The way we've done this for the shows at our park (and we've done it a lot in the past few years, our current designer has quite a thing for petticoats and crinolines) is to set the petticoat into the dress/skirt where we need the waistband to line up, and then tack it into place using a few vertical stitches (most of ours also have elastic waistbands in them, and the vertical stitching doesn't compromise the stretch of the elastic and thus compromise the ability to slip them on in a hurry--it also doesn't give you a painfully obvious line of stitching that runs around the waist.)

        I'm not sure if that helps or not...I'm sure it's partly due to the hour, but I'm having a hard time visualizing what, exactly, you're describing, both as a problem and as a potential solution.

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "NazKat" <nazkat@...> wrote:

        > I need some advice. I am trying to recycle old petticoats into some A-line skirts for Shipoopi dance (Music Man).*<SNIP>*
      • NazKat
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 22, 2010
          I am happy to report that I figured out a way to make them work.

          Each petticoat was two layers and made for short skirts, so they were kinda small at the top. I could not sew them into longer skirts without needing a whole lot more of them. So I cut them off of the grosgrain ribbon they were gathered onto - and separated the two layers to make 2 pieces of now very long sections (they became much longer after the gathers were taken out at the top). Then I sewed a new piece of ribbon at the top, then measured 11 inches down from the waistband of the skirt and marked it with chalk. Then I sewed them along the chalk marks. The thread line is not noticeable from the front because the skirts have a lot of design and sequins all over them. Now the bottom of the ruffles are about an inch or so inside and above the hem. When I ran out of petticoat, I just pieced another prepared section in then sewed the pieces together along the adjoining ends.

          I am not a professional seamstress - far from it - but projects like this force me to figure how to get it done... I actually feel proud of myself! lol No one will see the workmanship underneath from the audience anyway! :-)

          Thanks for your help! I may have more questions again soon! The show goes up in Nov so I still have lots to do!

          Kat

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "GCKidd" <gckidd@...> wrote:

          > The way we've done this for the shows at our park (and we've done it a lot in the past few years, our current designer has quite a thing for petticoats and crinolines) is to set the petticoat into the dress/skirt where we need the waistband to line up, and then tack it into place using a few vertical stitches (most of ours also have elastic waistbands in them, and the vertical stitching doesn't compromise the stretch of the elastic and thus compromise the ability to slip them on in a hurry--it also doesn't give you a painfully obvious line of stitching that runs around the waist.)
          >
          > I'm not sure if that helps or not...I'm sure it's partly due to the hour, but I'm having a hard time visualizing what, exactly, you're describing, both as a problem and as a potential solution.
          >
          > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "NazKat" <nazkat@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I need some advice. I am trying to recycle old petticoats into some A-line skirts for Shipoopi dance (Music Man).*<SNIP>*

        • Paula McWhirter-Buck
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 27, 2010
            hi,
            i'm costuming THREE SISTERS (could you guess by the subject line?)
            and i'm in need of 6 russian uniforms (5 officers and 1 enlisted).  green with red piping.
            i'm in western north carolina and i need them in 2 weeks to have them in time for tech week (the show was just cast last week).  production dates are nov. 18-21st.
            rentals are not out of the question, but $ is tight (college theatre department production).
            sizes i need are
            enlisted.....jacket...40L.....pants...31W/34L
            the rest
            jacket...46L.....pants...36W/34L
            jacket...40L...pants...30W...33L
            jacket ...42 L.....pants...34W 32L
            jacket...44R.....pants...34W...32L
            jacket....38R...pants 28W...30L

            matching hats would be awesome.

            any ideas?

            brightest of blessings
            paula mcwhirter-buck
            costume designer/shop supervisor
            mars hill college theatre arts department
            mars hill, nc
            828-689-1385

          • Carin JACOBS
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 27, 2010
              Yes! I just did the show and got the uniforms from Bob at AIEL in Texas. He is great to work with and will ship quickly. I had a couple of matching uniforms made for my larger guys, so if he doesn't have all of your sizes, contact Faye (costumerental@...) and ask about renting the larger ones. Bob has all of the medals and insignia (originals and replicas). I have attached photos of our production. After doing a lot of research, we determined the blue uniform with the red piping was actually the most historically accurate. The green is most commonly used, and is actually fine for the period as well. Here is Bob's info: Bob 214-417 2200 aiel@...

              Carin
              www.CarinJacobsCostumeDesign.com
              562-547-9276 cell

              To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 27, 2010
                I'm costuming Christmas Carol (who isn't, this time of year?) and just don't have the time to build pants. But my budget is limited, so I need to find something reasonably priced. Any suggestions?

                Thanks,

                Donna

              • Carin JACOBS
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 27, 2010
                  Remember those high waisted pants we (women) used to wear in the 80's? Some of them even had peaked waistbands. I'm sure you could find some of those in thrift stores. They might have a few too many pleats in the front, but I think they could work for high-waisted men's tweed or wool pants. Just a thought....

                  To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                  From: lanorte1@...
                  Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:30:14 -0400
                  Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Looking for men's high-waisted, Victorian-era pants

                • llsturts@greatlakes.net
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 27, 2010
                    It depends on what "reasonably priced" means with your budget. I've had
                    good luck with Gentleman's Emporium <http://www.gentlemansemporium.com>.

                    ~lisa.s

                    > I'm costuming Christmas Carol (who isn't, this time of year?) and just
                    > don't have the time to build pants. But my budget is limited, so I need
                    > to find something reasonably priced. Any suggestions?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Donna

                    ~lisa.s llsturts<AT>greatlakes<DOT>net
                  • lanorte1@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 29, 2010
                      Thanks, but most of my guys are pretty tall and even if I could find pants large enough, they would probably be too short. Not to mention, we open on November 18, so I just don't have time to hunt through thrift stores to find 25 pairs of mens pants. I'll probably end up getting several pairs from Gentlemen's Emporium - a little pricier than I'd like, but time is too short. Thank you!

                      Donna

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 30, 2010
                        i just wanted to thank everyone for their help with finding these uniforms.i actually used LUTHER SOWERS at ANVIL ARMS in salisbury, nc, as suggested by esther iverson (thanks a million).the man is a jewel. he specializes in period military from all over the world.he went above and beyond...didnt have a size i needed, so made it, and rented it to me...with one week notice.  and taught me how to wear some of the things that i wasnt familiar with.he helped me make my tiny budget go as far as possible.
                        and as a bonus...i got to see his fabulous colonial style house.
                        blessings,paula