Re:Buffalo coat

  • Marnie Bragg
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 27, 2010
      I've had good luck sewing leather and heavy suede with a regular machine
      with a top feeder foot and a jeans needle and upholstery thread. I had to do
      some costume boots and belts last year, and I couldn't get through the
      layers by hand but the machine could handle it. I don't know how it would be
      with fur, though.

    • Hummingbird
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 28, 2010
        It is a pelt, meaning with its fur? A sewing machine will have much trouble with it, even an industrial machine. Buffalo is tough enough without adding the hair into the equation. Hand sewing might be the easiest route, with a whipstitch, making sure the fur is kept brushed away from the seam edge and held in place with fingers holding the seam closed. Whenever I handsew heavy leathers, I prefer working with bridle -sized leather needles, size 3, 2, 1, and 0, depending on the thickness of leather and size of thread/sinew. And I made a special leather thimble for working with tough leathers which is made of a suede with a pad of 6/7 weight smooth cowhide. Before I left ASF, I made such thimbles for all of the stitchers, first hands, and drapers.

        If lined, then make a lining of fabric as for a modern coat. That method hasn't changed over the years.

        Good luck with it! What will you be doing with the scraps leftover?

        --Sarah
      • Darla Mundwiller
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2010
          Thank you all for the help. Yes pelts. with the fur still attached. I am quite
          looking forward to it. I'll take pictures of my progress. as to the scraps? I
          had not thought that far ahead.