Buffalo coat

  • jadziakl
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2010
      Hello I have been lurking around for a while. I have enjoyed this group very much. I have been asked to make a buffalo coat. I will be working with pelts and it is a rather simple pattern as it has to be period perfect or at least as close as I can make it. Will my heavy duty machine sew through buffalo? or should I do this by hand? Do I line it with fabric or should I line it with fur? any other suggestions or concerns or just plain warnings? Thanks for any help you can give me.
    • msgoldrush@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 26, 2010
        Hi, Unless you have a machine that will sew through leather..like shoe
        leather...I doubt that a regular machine will work..it is a hide...like elk
        skin...also...I would line it with fabric if you line it at all......fur would
        make it twice as heavy and hot..

      • llsturts@greatlakes.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 27, 2010
          Obviously, if you wanted it to be totally "period perfect" you'd be
          stitching it by hand :) --and I've known of a reenactor or two who
          insisted (but not by me!) I flew your question by a friend who has done
          that kind of thing--although he mostly has worked with bear skins. He
          suggested this website: it's basic, but it makes the whole process sound
          easier than it actually is, for beginning your education in sewing on
          leathers:

          <http://www.ehow.com/how_2038402_sew-leather-standard-sewing-machine.html>

          If you should decide to experiment with hand stitching, you'll need a
          sewing awl--once you get the hang of working with one, it's fairly easy.
          I've repaired lots of canvas things over the years...

          Good luck!

          ~lisa.s

          > Hello I have been lurking around for a while. I have enjoyed this group
          > very much. I have been asked to make a buffalo coat. I will be working
          > with pelts and it is a rather simple pattern as it has to be period
          > perfect or atleast as close as I can make it. Will my heavy duty machine
          > sew through buffalo? or should I do this by hand? Do I line it with
          fabric or
          > should Iline it with fur? any other suggestions or concerns or just plain
          > warnings?
          > Thanks for any help you can give me.

          ~lisa.s llsturts<AT>greatlakes<DOT>net
        • Marnie Bragg
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 27, 2010
            I've had good luck sewing leather and heavy suede with a regular machine
            with a top feeder foot and a jeans needle and upholstery thread. I had to do
            some costume boots and belts last year, and I couldn't get through the
            layers by hand but the machine could handle it. I don't know how it would be
            with fur, though.

          • Hummingbird
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 28, 2010
              It is a pelt, meaning with its fur? A sewing machine will have much trouble with it, even an industrial machine. Buffalo is tough enough without adding the hair into the equation. Hand sewing might be the easiest route, with a whipstitch, making sure the fur is kept brushed away from the seam edge and held in place with fingers holding the seam closed. Whenever I handsew heavy leathers, I prefer working with bridle -sized leather needles, size 3, 2, 1, and 0, depending on the thickness of leather and size of thread/sinew. And I made a special leather thimble for working with tough leathers which is made of a suede with a pad of 6/7 weight smooth cowhide. Before I left ASF, I made such thimbles for all of the stitchers, first hands, and drapers.

              If lined, then make a lining of fabric as for a modern coat. That method hasn't changed over the years.

              Good luck with it! What will you be doing with the scraps leftover?

              --Sarah
            • Darla Mundwiller
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 29, 2010
                Thank you all for the help. Yes pelts. with the fur still attached. I am quite
                looking forward to it. I'll take pictures of my progress. as to the scraps? I
                had not thought that far ahead.