Re: Industrial/Professional Irons

  • sabramike
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2010
      I'm so sorry that post came out looking like it does! Silly computers thinking they're smarter than us! So double thanks to anyone who actually can read through this...

      -Monica

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Me <sabramike@...> wrote:

      > So sorry if this is a double post...yahoo has eaten or delayed the first one for more than 24 hours...
      >
      > Greetings all!  Hope everyone is well.
      >
      > I need professional/industrial iron selection help. This is a bit long, but I want to get it right. Thanks for your patience in reading and I don’t actually expect everyone responding to answer everything, but any insight is greatly appreciated…
      >
      > I’ve had a very modest home based do-it-all (alterations, custom costumes, drapes, mild upholstering, tailoring, wedding dresses, stuffed animals…etc, etc..) sewing shop for years, but I’m finally stepping it up to a more professional level.  Also, I’m trying to stop “borrowing” the use of equipment at the costume shops in which I work.  :-)
      >
      > Of all the costume shops in all the world I’ve worked in, the Sussman Aqua Gold has been my favorite for my purposes.  Unfortunately, they are no longer made. After several days of searching, I have found some refurbished ones online, but I am suddenly hesitant to spend $500 on something I don’t know if I can get replacement parts for or even have serviced locally(I live in a not-very-metropolitan-laced area of the United States).
      >
      > For those of you that sew in a shop environment and have an iron on for at least 4 hours a day with heavy use, what brands/models have you had success with?  Anyone have more detailed knowledge of how the irons actually functions?
      >
      > I have used boiler box, gravity feed and pump box irons all with success, but I’m not sure I know exactly how each works. I know the gravity feed and pump box make the steam “in” the iron so there is more risk of water spray than with a boiler, but how exactly does that work? Why would you choose a pump box instead of gravity feed?
      > Are there other types of industrial grade irons out there I’ve never heard of?  I once had an industrial iron pump box blow up in my face and I’d like to understand mechanically how my new iron works to know where not to put my face in the future. :-)
      >
      > There is no way I can afford a vacuum table at this point, so keep in mind I’ll be using this on a large ironing table made with muslin over a cotton batting wrapped on homasote board.
      >
      > These are my thoughts/preferences/findings/questions so far:
      > -Boiler boxes such as the Reliable i300-700 series look like they’d be great, but most reviews I’ve read say they won’t last your more than 1-2 years in all day shop-use setting
      > -The first Sussman Aqua Golds I used were in a university costume shop full of clueless students beating the crap out of them and sitting them on end all the time and they’ve survived. In fact the same one I used 10 years ago in that shop is still there working away. However, my old professor tells me he can no longer have it serviced without paying $100s to ship it off somewhere.
> [...]
    • Laurie Taylor
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 25, 2010
        No help on the iron question, but just to let you know, one of your posts
        came through perfectly clear and the other came through with odd characters
        throughout. So we are able to read at least one with no problem.

        Laurie T.

        _____

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 25, 2010
          Hi,
          I can weigh in with an opinion on the Naomoto gravity-feed iron--I have had one in my college costume shop for about 10 years now with student abuse and very long hours of use and have never had a problem with it. It can spit when steam is applied at too low a temp, but that is more of a student learning-curve issue, I think.
          Cynthia Corley
          Orange Coast College
          Costa Mesa CA