Industrial/Professional Irons

  • Me
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2010
      So sorry if this is a double post...yahoo has eaten or delayed the first one for more than 24 hours...

      Greetings all!  Hope everyone is well.

      I need professional/industrial iron selection help. This is a bit long, but I want to get it right. Thanks for your patience in reading and I don’t actually expect everyone responding to answer everything, but any insight is greatly appreciated…

      I’ve had a very modest home based do-it-all (alterations, custom costumes, drapes, mild upholstering, tailoring, wedding dresses, stuffed animals…etc, etc..) sewing shop for years, but I’m finally stepping it up to a more professional level.  Also, I’m trying to stop “borrowing” the use of equipment at the costume shops in which I work.  :-)

      Of all the costume shops in all the world I’ve worked in, the Sussman Aqua Gold has been my favorite for my purposes.  Unfortunately, they are no longer made. After several days of searching, I have found some refurbished ones online, but I am suddenly hesitant to spend $500 on something I don’t know if I can get replacement parts for or even have serviced locally(I live in a not-very-metropolitan-laced area of the United States).

      For those of you that sew in a shop environment and have an iron on for at least 4 hours a day with heavy use, what brands/models have you had success with?  Anyone have more detailed knowledge of how the irons actually functions?

      I have used boiler box, gravity feed and pump box irons all with success, but I’m not sure I know exactly how each works. I know the gravity feed and pump box make the steam “in” the iron so there is more risk of water spray than with a boiler, but how exactly does that work? Why would you choose a pump box instead of gravity feed?
      Are there other types of industrial grade irons out there I’ve never heard of?  I once had an industrial iron pump box blow up in my face and I’d like to understand mechanically how my new iron works to know where not to put my face in the future. :-)

      There is no way I can afford a vacuum table at this point, so keep in mind I’ll be using this on a large ironing table made with muslin over a cotton batting wrapped on homasote board.

      These are my thoughts/preferences/findings/questions so far:
      -Boiler boxes such as the Reliable i300-700 series look like they’d be great, but most reviews I’ve read say they won’t last your more than 1-2 years in all day shop-use setting
      -The first Sussman Aqua Golds I used were in a university costume shop full of clueless students beating the crap out of them and sitting them on end all the time and they’ve survived. In fact the same one I used 10 years ago in that shop is still there working away. However, my old professor tells me he can no longer have it serviced without paying $100s to ship it off somewhere.
      -I’ve never had problems with the lengths of the waterfeed tube or the cord, but I seem to be reading a few reviews online that state too-short cords have a been a difficulty in certain makes of industrial irons. Is this maybe a thing with newer irons, having shorter tubes and cords?
      -I’ve always used the demineralizer that comes with gravity fed irons. Could you skip that step if you used distilled or purified water? I’ve read that gravity fed irons tend to have more build up problems from water impurities than any other kind. I’ve never used one for more than a year so I’m not familiar with that being an issue.
      -Placement of steam holes on the plate. Is having them all over really more effective on industrial irons? All the professional grade irons I’ve used have a clumping of holes towards the top or sometimes a straight line going down the full length of both sides of the plate. But online reviews I’ve read seem to have a lot of complaints about there not being enough holes. Could these posters be trying to get too much steam or is this also a problem with newer industrial irons?  I suppose if you’re only used to home irons you may not understand how to work an industrial to get the right effects.
      -Brands.  I heard Naomoto brand is the top of the line and Sussman was second best before they started fading out. True? Are there other brands you’ve had great success with for years? I’m looking for longevity and performance. I know that’s hard to find these days with newly manufactured items, but when you’re using an iron on $100 per yard white silk, it needs to work great all the time every time.
      -I am not really interested in “for the home professional grade” type irons with small tanks, short cords and automatic shut offs.  I’m thinking of models like the DeLonghi Stiromeglio Compact PRO 300 and the Reliable J420 IronMaven.  But perhaps I’m wrong. Considering I will do a minimum of 4 hours of sewing and pressing each day, will these types have any chance of lasting or performing how I need?
      -My business really is almost every type of sewing from fine gowns to leather motorcycle seats--so basically like a busy costume shop. I need an iron that is tough but versatile.

      I think that’s more than enough info to digest for now.  Thanks again to all who take a look at this and have anything to offer!

      -Monica

    • sabramike
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 25, 2010
        I'm so sorry that post came out looking like it does! Silly computers thinking they're smarter than us! So double thanks to anyone who actually can read through this...

        -Monica

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Me <sabramike@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > -I am not really interested in “for the home professional grade” type irons with small tanks, short cords and automatic shut offs.  I’m thinking of models like the DeLonghi Stiromeglio Compact PRO 300 and the Reliable J420 IronMaven.  But perhaps I’m wrong. Considering I will do a minimum of 4 hours of sewing and pressing each day, will these types have any chance of lasting or performing how I need?
        > -My business really is almost every type of sewing from fine gowns to leather motorcycle seats--so basically like a busy costume shop. I need an iron that is tough but versatile.
        >
        > I think that’s more than enough info to digest for now.  Thanks again to all who take a look at this and have anything to offer!

      • Laurie Taylor
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 25, 2010
          No help on the iron question, but just to let you know, one of your posts
          came through perfectly clear and the other came through with odd characters
          throughout. So we are able to read at least one with no problem.

          Laurie T.

          _____

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 25, 2010
            Hi,
            I can weigh in with an opinion on the Naomoto gravity-feed iron--I have had one in my college costume shop for about 10 years now with student abuse and very long hours of use and have never had a problem with it. It can spit when steam is applied at too low a temp, but that is more of a student learning-curve issue, I think.
            Cynthia Corley
            Orange Coast College
            Costa Mesa CA