Re: Puffer fish costume again

  • GCKidd
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 13, 2010
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:

      > My friend who is making a puffer fish costume for her grandson for
      > Halloween has run into a snag. She used someone's suggestion to
      > fasten plastic tubing together with a smaller piece of the tubing but
      > the closure won't stay closed. She said the little piece of tubing
      > she used to insert inside the 2 ends is too short and she is out of
      > the stuff and doesnt want to have to buy more. Does anyone have
      > another idea for keeping tubing ends attached together?

      I used the stuff to make the framework for a parade-dragon (a la Chinese New Year Parade-type, only not as flashy) and didn't even bother with the smaller tubing, I just drilled holes in the plastic and used zip ties (of course, I was doing a lot of small sections, rather that an assortment of hoops...although I made those, too, for the body...) A length of steel wire would probably work, too (you'd want something heavier than most florist's wire, I'm not sure how that would hold together under continued stress.) A lot of hula hoops actually have a heavy-duty staple across the seam, with the label covering it (both for aesthetic reasons and to help prevent it from falling out)...they just use a small wood or plastic plug to make sure that the ends meet cleanly and there's no lateral force to increase chances of the staple coming out.

      So, if she's got a heavy staple-gun, I'd say that's the way to go...put your plastic reinforcement for the joint in, have someone else hold the hoop steady, and staple across the joint top and bottom (if she's paranoid, she could also go inside and outside of the hoop)--use a wood block to brace it against so you can hold the staple gun against it firmly and get the staple in further (if it doesn't go in far enough, a few good taps with a hammer should put it in the rest of the way.) Wrap the seam with duct tape/gaff tape/electrician's tape to cover up the staples and help reinforce the joint.
    • bearhedded
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 25, 2010
        When I use 1/4" tubing, I fasten it to itself with the strap part of a zip-tie, just pushing it into the 2 openings. There are usually some other projects in the theatre using zip-ties, and several people know to save the ends now, and bring them to the costume shop!

        For larger tubing, like 1/2 inch, I cut an extra piece about 6 " long, and slit it lengthwise, so I can roll it a little, the long way, and slip it in the joint. It's a compression fit. The casing in the covering is what keeps it from being stretched open.