Newby Here!

  • Wade
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2010
      Hey guys, I'm an extreme newb. In fact, I haven't sewn since Jr. High School! So, first of all, in wanting to relearn, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a fabulous book that I could use to relearn what I was taught about sewing in school? I think I was sewing myself a pair of denim short back when they first became popular in the early 90s.

      Anyway, my ultimate goal is also to create a pattern for myself. I have a few photos on-line of a particular garment that I'd like to replicate as closely as possible. Anyone know of any books that I could turn to as a resource for not only replicating a VERY large article of clothing from a photograph (when I only have some photos of the front and sides), yet also fit it to myself? It's very "billowy", and will use a LOT of fabric, so.... cinching it to my full frame won't be necessary. It's also replicating the full-bodied and billowy" effect that I'd need some guidance on, when there doesn't seem to be any pleating (as one would find in judge's robes, for instance).

      Also, I was watching "Bewitched", this afternoon (one of my FAVORITE shows), and it occurred to me how lively and colorful the costumes are. it seems a shame that costume designers for television shows and films don't routinely publish books filled with their designs!

      Take Care,
      Wade MacMorrighan
    • queenortart
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 16, 2010
        I recommend the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing

        Original version is *ISBN-10:* 0276001826
        New version *ISBN-10:* 0762104201

        I think the older version is better personally but it's what floats your
        boat!

        --

        "There was a definite process by which one made people into friends, and it
        involved talking to them and listening to them for hours at a time."