Puffer fish costume

  • kc chatham
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 14, 2010
      Simplicity has an old pattern which may be of some help. #4926.  See attachment.  You could at least use the directions and enlarge it as neccessary.  I made this a few years ago.  It's really cute.

      KC~
      Pleasant Hill 4H Costume Project Leader

    • Paula McWhirter-Buck
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 15, 2010
        GENIOUS!!!
        wish i'da thought of that.
        jus' sayin'....

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 16, 2010
          I'll second this one. Hearing what sounds easiest to someone else may help you revise your own take on something, and I'm always ready to refine my technique and pick up some new skills and ideas. Plus, if it happens to be your idea someone picks, it's useful to know if they found it as easy as you expected it to be (I've learned, from personal experience, that what seems basic and 'common-sense' to me can be remarkably difficult for some others to pick up on--I'm never sure if it's just that I think that much differently than them, or if it's that I just don't know how to explain it...)

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, <retshopbuyer@...> wrote:

          > i think it would be interesting if the person asking the question replies with information about how they solved their problem -
          >
          > whadda ya think ?
          >
          > retshopbuyer

        • Paula McWhirter-Buck
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 16, 2010
            i'll third it...
            and everything said in this response....

            I'll second this one. Hearing what sounds easiest to someone else may help you revise your own take on something, and I'm always ready to refine my technique and pick up some new skills and ideas. Plus, if it happens to be your idea someone picks, it's useful to know if they found it as easy as you expected it to be (I've learned, from personal experience, that what seems basic and 'common-sense' to me can be remarkably difficult for some others to pick up on--I'm never sure if it's just that I think that much differently than them, or if it's that I just don't know how to explain it...)

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, <retshopbuyer@...> wrote:

            > i think it would be interesting if the person asking the question replies with information about how they solved their problem -

            > whadda ya think ?

            > retshopbuyer

          • Store Manager
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 16, 2010
              Hi, wire is not a good choice for a child as there can be sharp ends that get exposed over time and wire bends so it can get bent out of shape. Covering can be a cottom lycra knit that can be painted or drawn on with marker to create the details.

              I suggest "German Plastic Bones" as found at both Farthingales and Farthingales L.A. these bones are great for creating circles as they can be sewn to themselves and are light weight, they pose no risks and are relatively inexpensive.

              http://www.farthingales.on.ca/plastic_bones.php
              http://www.farthingalesla.com/corset_supplies.html

              Hope this helps
              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:

              > I woman I work with is trying to make a puffer fish costume for her
              > grandson. I don't know much about costume crafts but have been
              > racking my brain for easy ideas. I'm not concerned about the spines,
              > just how to achieve the overall ball shape and get it to stay blown
              > up, so to speak. She was planning on making a wire frame out of 3
              > different sized circles and covering them with batting and felt. I
              > suggested foam, but it seems like one would have to make a muslin
              > shell first to put around the wire frame. I hope I'm making myself
              > clear.
              >
              > Any ideas?
              >

              > Sylvia Rognstad
              > Costume/clothing design & construction
              > Alterations & home dec
              > http://www.ezzyworld.com

            • celefinniel
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 21, 2010
                Not quite what you want, since the person looks out the top and not the mouth, but there is a "how to" for a puffer fish costume in vol.7 issue 1, 2009 of "The Virtual Costumer". Might help a bit on construction methods. http://www.siwcostumers.org/vc_contents.html#v7_i1

                Kathe