Puffer fish costume

  • Sylvia Rognstad
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 14, 2010
      I woman I work with is trying to make a puffer fish costume for her
      grandson. I don't know much about costume crafts but have been
      racking my brain for easy ideas. I'm not concerned about the spines,
      just how to achieve the overall ball shape and get it to stay blown
      up, so to speak. She was planning on making a wire frame out of 3
      different sized circles and covering them with batting and felt. I
      suggested foam, but it seems like one would have to make a muslin
      shell first to put around the wire frame. I hope I'm making myself
      clear.

      Any ideas?

      Sylvia Rognstad
      Costume/clothing design & construction
      Alterations & home dec
      http://www.ezzyworld.com

    • kc chatham
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 14, 2010
        Simplicity has an old pattern which may be of some help. #4926.  See attachment.  You could at least use the directions and enlarge it as neccessary.  I made this a few years ago.  It's really cute.

        KC~
        Pleasant Hill 4H Costume Project Leader

      • Paula McWhirter-Buck
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 15, 2010
          i used 3/4 inch plastic tubing (at hardware store...about 16 cents a foot) when making a MR. POTATO HEAD costume to achieve the round bubble effect.  it worked beautifully.  to connect the ends and create a circle, i simply cut a piece of the tubing about 2 inches long, and cut a piece out of the side of it, so that, when pushed together and become narrower, it gets small enough to fit inside the uncut tubing...slide the cut piece half way into one end of the uncut tube, and then slide the other end of the uncut tube over the visible part of the cut tube, to join the circle.
          i used a plush fabric for the outside of mr. tater head...but one could use muslin, or whatever (i used the same stuff to make hoop skirts).  i only made small "belt loops" kind of things to hold the "spines" in pace on the inside of the costume.

          i hope it helps.

          blessings,
          paula

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 15, 2010
            Foam would hold the shape better than batting. Upholstery shops sell what they call 'scrim foam', which has a light-weight fabric backing on one side (so you can stitch to it without the thread pulling through)...headliner foam (available at Hancocks, among others) also has fabric on one side. That would prevent the tubing from chafing through the foam (although, depending on how often it's going to be worn, that may not be much of a problem). She could also try reticulated open-cell foam (it's not the same foam they use for padding, it's the kind of stuff they use for air filters, water filters, and some speaker covers)...it's a more durable material (I used it once to make a Parade-Dragon head...very lightweight, very breathable, pretty durable, and it glues together well with contact cement). The place I got mine from (which I don't recall off the top of my head, I'd have to go digging around in my notes to find it) sells the stuff in 4x8 foot sheets, which go a long way. If the costume is going to be worn multiple times, I'd recommend the latter option...but you shouldn't need a muslin liner with it, you can glue it very effectively so stitching it isn't a major concern.

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:

            > I woman I work with is trying to make a puffer fish costume for her
            > grandson.
          • empressrebecca
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 15, 2010
              If it's for a little kid, I'd recommend something softer. I made some chicken costumes in a similar style to this: http://betsyvintage.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=4049&zenid=17627308f9563ab87f0d2d6a0edbcf25

              It's basically a sheath in the inner part, which connects to a different shape outside (several connected triangle-panels, in this pattern), and the inside is filled with polyfil. It's really soft and comfy for kids to wear, and if they decide to get a bit rough-and-tumble, they can do so and not injure the costume or themselves. You could just play with muslin shapes until you get the fishy-body-shape you like!

              Rebecca

            • retshopbuyer@charter.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 15, 2010
                is it to look realistic or cartoonish ?
                if she wants a simple pattern i would look for a pumpkin pattern in the halloween section -
                use headliner and also use plastic tubing to help with structure-
                i always buy a short piece of the next size down in the tubing to make a connector-
                then get split rings that are just larger than the tubing and bartack them into place inside the costume and run the tubing thru the rings-

                retshopbuyer

              • retshopbuyer@charter.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 15, 2010
                  i think it would be interesting if the person asking the question replies with information about how they solved their problem -

                  whadda ya think ?

                  retshopbuyer
                • Paula McWhirter-Buck
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 15, 2010
                    GENIOUS!!!
                    wish i'da thought of that.
                    jus' sayin'....

                    if she wants a simple pattern i would look for a pumpkin pattern in the halloween section -

                    use headliner and also use plastic tubing to help with structure-

                    i always buy a short piece of the next size down in the tubing to make a connector-

                    then get split rings that are just larger than the tubing and bartack them into place inside the costume and run the tubing thru the rings-

                    retshopbuyer

                    ---- Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:

                    > I woman I work with is trying to make a puffer fish costume for her

                    > grandson. I don't know much about costume crafts but have been

                    > racking my brain for easy ideas. I'm not concerned about the spines,

                    > just how to achieve the overall ball shape and get it to stay blown

                    > up, so to speak. She was planning on making a wire frame out of 3

                    > different sized circles and covering them with batting and felt. I

                    > suggested foam, but it seems like one would have to make a muslin

                    > shell first to put around the wire frame. I hope I'm making myself

                    > clear.

                    > Any ideas?

                    > Sylvia Rognstad

                    > Costume/clothing design & construction

                    > Alterations & home dec

                    > http://www.ezzyworld.com

                  • GCKidd
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 16, 2010
                      I'll second this one. Hearing what sounds easiest to someone else may help you revise your own take on something, and I'm always ready to refine my technique and pick up some new skills and ideas. Plus, if it happens to be your idea someone picks, it's useful to know if they found it as easy as you expected it to be (I've learned, from personal experience, that what seems basic and 'common-sense' to me can be remarkably difficult for some others to pick up on--I'm never sure if it's just that I think that much differently than them, or if it's that I just don't know how to explain it...)

                      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, <retshopbuyer@...> wrote:

                      > i think it would be interesting if the person asking the question replies with information about how they solved their problem -
                      >
                      > whadda ya think ?
                      >
                      > retshopbuyer

                    • Paula McWhirter-Buck
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 16, 2010
                        i'll third it...
                        and everything said in this response....

                        I'll second this one. Hearing what sounds easiest to someone else may help you revise your own take on something, and I'm always ready to refine my technique and pick up some new skills and ideas. Plus, if it happens to be your idea someone picks, it's useful to know if they found it as easy as you expected it to be (I've learned, from personal experience, that what seems basic and 'common-sense' to me can be remarkably difficult for some others to pick up on--I'm never sure if it's just that I think that much differently than them, or if it's that I just don't know how to explain it...)

                        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, <retshopbuyer@...> wrote:

                        > i think it would be interesting if the person asking the question replies with information about how they solved their problem -

                        > whadda ya think ?

                        > retshopbuyer

                      • Store Manager
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 16, 2010
                          Hi, wire is not a good choice for a child as there can be sharp ends that get exposed over time and wire bends so it can get bent out of shape. Covering can be a cottom lycra knit that can be painted or drawn on with marker to create the details.

                          I suggest "German Plastic Bones" as found at both Farthingales and Farthingales L.A. these bones are great for creating circles as they can be sewn to themselves and are light weight, they pose no risks and are relatively inexpensive.

                          http://www.farthingales.on.ca/plastic_bones.php
                          http://www.farthingalesla.com/corset_supplies.html

                          Hope this helps
                          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:

                          > I woman I work with is trying to make a puffer fish costume for her
                          > grandson. I don't know much about costume crafts but have been
                          > racking my brain for easy ideas. I'm not concerned about the spines,
                          > just how to achieve the overall ball shape and get it to stay blown
                          > up, so to speak. She was planning on making a wire frame out of 3
                          > different sized circles and covering them with batting and felt. I
                          > suggested foam, but it seems like one would have to make a muslin
                          > shell first to put around the wire frame. I hope I'm making myself
                          > clear.
                          >
                          > Any ideas?
                          >

                          > Sylvia Rognstad
                          > Costume/clothing design & construction
                          > Alterations & home dec
                          > http://www.ezzyworld.com

                        • celefinniel
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 21, 2010
                            Not quite what you want, since the person looks out the top and not the mouth, but there is a "how to" for a puffer fish costume in vol.7 issue 1, 2009 of "The Virtual Costumer". Might help a bit on construction methods. http://www.siwcostumers.org/vc_contents.html#v7_i1

                            Kathe