Re: Dying satin shoes

  • john_becker_94596
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 8, 2010
      evangeline slipper dye is no longer made. Manhattan Wardrobe supply now carries a new slipper dye called International Fabric Dyes. they have 'how to's and all the colors at their web site. (just google manhattan wardrobe supply).they do sell a book just like the old evangeline's one but unless you're going to do this a lot i wouldn't buy it. the book of color mixing is about $100. but if you will use them alot it's well worth it to get all their color recipes. if you just need a straight color or two you'll just need the bottle of color and the diluta. then just follow their instructions. pretty easy. just move fast with applying the dye otherwise you'll get uneven color.
      good luck.
    • GCKidd
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 9, 2010
        I've actually had our shoe repair guy recommend the Design Master paint for colors that were not available in the Nu Way color catalog, even for regular shoes, and I've had really good success with it (just make sure that you use light coats of paint and let them dry thoroughly before you go to the next coat, or else it tends to flake off.) I haven't ever tried spray-painting satin shoes, except for ballet slippers for an event about eight and a half years ago (and they just got basic spray paint for that--took us about five coats of paint to make some of them black...even more for the ones we were making white.)

        Actually, I would go with the Design Master before the Nu Way...NW paint is designed to go over leather and vinyl...the less porous the surface, the better it works. If you try and use it on vinyl that's had the outer surface scuffed through, you can lay down six or seven layers of paint before the surface is sealed and the paint stops soaking in. Design Master, since it's designed to paint on a fabric already, tends to seal itself to the fibers so that you don't waste so much paint just trying to build a base layer that lets the color read true. In terms of price, there's not much difference in the amount of product you get...but you'll wind up using less of the DM on satin than the NW.

        And any decent shoe repair shop should be able to order NuWay (or some equivalent brand) for you.

      • retshopbuyer@charter.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 11, 2010
          that is a shame about evangeline-
          it was good stuff -