Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Dying satin shoes

  • retshopbuyer@charter.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 6 8:23 PM
      you can buy shoe dyes at shoe repair supply houses-
      there is a brand Evangeline i think-
      a liquid -
      has a thinner and color charts are available with fabric swatches to match to the dress-
      it is applied with a dauber -
      this is pretty standard stuff for satin shoes and most stores that sell satin shoes have this to use-

      i have also used rit diluted with alcohol in a spray bottle -
      it worked fine-

      but why not suggest that she get them dyed where she bought them-
      or at a shoe repair shop -
      let them have the trauma if they don't come out to please her-

      i bought tons of satin and peau de soie shoes for xmas carol over the years-
      we always did our own dyeing-
      but the guy that sold the shoes did do dyeing -
      i once saw a bride in tears because she could tell that there was a slight difference between her dress and her dyed shoes-
      i mean SLIGHT !
      she kept saying " but you don't understand- it's for my wedding"

      don't dye shoes for family !
      or brides !

      ---- Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:
      > My daughter in law has asked if I can dye her bridesmaid shoes.
      > While I used to dye shoes all the time in a costume shop, I can't
      > recall if I've ever done any satin. I doubt they are silk satin so I
      > can't use fabric dyes, I don't think. Any suggestions for something
      > that won't remove the satiny shine?
      >

      > Sylvia Rognstad
      > Costume/clothing design & construction
      > Alterations & home dec
      > http://www.ezzyworld.com

    • Sylvia Rognstad
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 6 8:46 PM
        I used tons of shoe dye in the past but was just afraid it would
        change the texture on satin. And I was afraid Rit would get blotchy
        and run when wet since it doesn't work on poly fibers. I'm just
        trying to save the girl some money since she has to spend so much
        already on dress, shoes, airfare, hotels, etc. She says she doesnt
        care that much how the dyejob comes out.

        On Aug 6, 2010, at 9:23 PM, <retshopbuyer@...> wrote:

        > you can buy shoe dyes at shoe repair supply houses-
        > there is a brand Evangeline i think-
        > a liquid -
        > has a thinner and color charts are available with fabric swatches
        > to match to the dress-
        > it is applied with a dauber -
        > this is pretty standard stuff for satin shoes and most stores that
        > sell satin shoes have this to use-
        >
        > i have also used rit diluted with alcohol in a spray bottle -
        > it worked fine-
        >
        > but why not suggest that she get them dyed where she bought them-
        > or at a shoe repair shop -
        > let them have the trauma if they don't come out to please her-
        >
        > i bought tons of satin and peau de soie shoes for xmas carol over
        > the years-
        > we always did our own dyeing-
        > but the guy that sold the shoes did do dyeing -
        > i once saw a bride in tears because she could tell that there was a
        > slight difference between her dress and her dyed shoes-
        > i mean SLIGHT !
        > she kept saying " but you don't understand- it's for my wedding"
        >
        > don't dye shoes for family !
        > or brides !
        >
        > ---- Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:
        > > My daughter in law has asked if I can dye her bridesmaid shoes.
        > > While I used to dye shoes all the time in a costume shop, I can't
        > > recall if I've ever done any satin. I doubt they are silk satin so I
        > > can't use fabric dyes, I don't think. Any suggestions for something
        > > that won't remove the satiny shine?
        > >

        > > Sylvia Rognstad
        > > Costume/clothing design & construction
        > > Alterations & home dec
        > > http://www.ezzyworld.com

      • GCKidd
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 7 8:08 PM
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, <retshopbuyer@...> wrote:

          > but why not suggest that she get them dyed where she bought them-
          > or at a shoe repair shop -
          > let them have the trauma if they don't come out to please her-

          That's actually getting harder and harder to do...our shoe-repair place doesn't even bother with dying shoes for people anymore because it was consistently far more trouble than it was worth (often because people would get them dyed, wear them onto damp grass for wedding pictures, and then raise a stink because they discolored due to the water on the grass--even after he warned them that would happen if they got the shoes wet).

          You might try diluting acrylic paint in alcohol and using that (I have a friend who uses that, occasionally, for dying leather odd colors). My only experience with trying to change shoe colors involved either spray paint or leather dye, so I'm not sure how applicable any of my advice would be for this situation.
        • MaryB
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 8 6:45 AM
            How about trying that spray paint for silk flowers? It's called Design Master and I've bought it at my local craft store, Beverly's. I've heard other costumers say that they use it for dying ballet shoes, which are also made of satin. You stuff the shoes with paper and then apply several light coats until you get the color you want.

            Another suggestion I've seen is using Nu Way shoe paint, although I'm not sure where you would get it.

            ~mary

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:

            > My daughter in law has asked if I can dye her bridesmaid shoes.
            > While I used to dye shoes all the time in a costume shop, I can't
            > recall if I've ever done any satin. I doubt they are silk satin so I
            > can't use fabric dyes, I don't think. Any suggestions for something
            > that won't remove the satiny shine?
            >

            > Sylvia Rognstad
            > Costume/clothing design & construction
            > Alterations & home dec
            > http://www.ezzyworld.com

          • john_becker_94596
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 8 10:33 AM
              evangeline slipper dye is no longer made. Manhattan Wardrobe supply now carries a new slipper dye called International Fabric Dyes. they have 'how to's and all the colors at their web site. (just google manhattan wardrobe supply).they do sell a book just like the old evangeline's one but unless you're going to do this a lot i wouldn't buy it. the book of color mixing is about $100. but if you will use them alot it's well worth it to get all their color recipes. if you just need a straight color or two you'll just need the bottle of color and the diluta. then just follow their instructions. pretty easy. just move fast with applying the dye otherwise you'll get uneven color.
              good luck.
            • GCKidd
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 9 8:59 AM
                I've actually had our shoe repair guy recommend the Design Master paint for colors that were not available in the Nu Way color catalog, even for regular shoes, and I've had really good success with it (just make sure that you use light coats of paint and let them dry thoroughly before you go to the next coat, or else it tends to flake off.) I haven't ever tried spray-painting satin shoes, except for ballet slippers for an event about eight and a half years ago (and they just got basic spray paint for that--took us about five coats of paint to make some of them black...even more for the ones we were making white.)

                Actually, I would go with the Design Master before the Nu Way...NW paint is designed to go over leather and vinyl...the less porous the surface, the better it works. If you try and use it on vinyl that's had the outer surface scuffed through, you can lay down six or seven layers of paint before the surface is sealed and the paint stops soaking in. Design Master, since it's designed to paint on a fabric already, tends to seal itself to the fibers so that you don't waste so much paint just trying to build a base layer that lets the color read true. In terms of price, there's not much difference in the amount of product you get...but you'll wind up using less of the DM on satin than the NW.

                And any decent shoe repair shop should be able to order NuWay (or some equivalent brand) for you.

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 11 5:58 AM
                  that is a shame about evangeline-
                  it was good stuff -