Re: maybe a strange question...

  • GCKidd
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 3, 2010
      Actually, depending on the animal, it would be illegal to dye them in ANY state. Horses, for instance, have their coloration and distinctive features documented as part of their ownership papers. Now, granted, you could probably dye them (if you could get them to hold still for it, which would vary a lot from horse to horse) and have no problem as long as you didn't try to sell or transport the horse any significant distance...but you could also find yourself in a world of trouble if that distance went across state lines.

      I'd talk to a groomer, about a dog. Kool-Aid would probably work, but the groomer (if that's not what they're already using, which is possible) may have something that can give you a more predictable result.

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, llsturts@... wrote:

      > Whoever mentioned checking to see the legality of dying animals is correct
      > too, just to be sure--I know in Michigan it's illegal to dye baby chick
      > and rabbits. I doubt the regulation would cover larger animals, but it
      > could, so there would be no fraud concerning the selling of show animals.
    • catslave54
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 4, 2010
      • Paula McWhirter-Buck
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 4, 2010
          ok....THAT'S just scary....
          i feel so embarrassed for the poor dog.
          i only want a collie mix to look like a german shephard mix...
          but thanks for sharing...

          blessings,
          paula

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 4, 2010
            That's what I was thinking: Those poor humiliated dogs! :-( (Yes, I'm sure they're loved by their owners, but still!)

            yocepha

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Paula McWhirter-Buck <keridwyn_98@...> wrote:

            > ok....THAT'S just scary....
            > i feel so embarrassed for the poor dog.
            > i only want a collie mix to look like a german shephard mix...
            > but thanks for sharing...
            >
            > blessings,
            > paula
            >

            > From: catslave54 <zimmermanel@...>
            > Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Poodles to dye for
            > To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
            > Date: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 9:55 AM
            >
            > Well, have a look at what dye does for these dogs! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1208913/The-poodles-transformed-pandas-horses-snails-creative-grooming-dog-shows.html

          • marky murray
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 5, 2010
              sorry all, but I thought they were really cute!! Truth be told, in the
              past, I have had dogs that would not have minded me 'messing' with them like
              that... as long as the smells were not to bad... I think they probably used
              food color grade dyes. My current dogs would not tolerate it... but those
              dogs are used to being groomed for long periods of time... The show poodles
              I have watched in grooming actually lay on one side while the other is
              de-tangled... and I am sure they gave the dogs breaks... I used to go to
              dogs shows lots... and the dogs are not mistreated during grooming.... most
              seem to like it . getting treats and loves and breaks as needed. I can't
              speak to these particular dogs.... but 'dog people' in general really love
              their critters.

              Just my thoughts... marky.....