Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] maybe a strange question...

  • Paula McWhirter-Buck
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2, 2010
      no water involved.
      shooting will go on for almost 3 months, and dog is involved in most scenes.

      kook aid sounds like it might work.

      great suggestions, and things i hadnt thought about...

      blessings,
      paula

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2010
        You might also check with a groomer that's been in the biz a long time--I
        had friends (we're talking 30 years ago) who had a white standard poodle
        that they'd have "color tipped" seasonally--red/green for Christmas, pink
        for Valentines Day, green for St. Patrick's Day, pastel colors for Spring,
        that sort of thing.

        Whoever mentioned checking to see the legality of dying animals is correct
        too, just to be sure--I know in Michigan it's illegal to dye baby chick
        and rabbits. I doubt the regulation would cover larger animals, but it
        could, so there would be no fraud concerning the selling of show animals.

        ~lisa.s

        ~lisa.s llsturts<AT>greatlakes<DOT>net
      • GCKidd
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 3, 2010
          Actually, depending on the animal, it would be illegal to dye them in ANY state. Horses, for instance, have their coloration and distinctive features documented as part of their ownership papers. Now, granted, you could probably dye them (if you could get them to hold still for it, which would vary a lot from horse to horse) and have no problem as long as you didn't try to sell or transport the horse any significant distance...but you could also find yourself in a world of trouble if that distance went across state lines.

          I'd talk to a groomer, about a dog. Kool-Aid would probably work, but the groomer (if that's not what they're already using, which is possible) may have something that can give you a more predictable result.

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, llsturts@... wrote:

          > Whoever mentioned checking to see the legality of dying animals is correct
          > too, just to be sure--I know in Michigan it's illegal to dye baby chick
          > and rabbits. I doubt the regulation would cover larger animals, but it
          > could, so there would be no fraud concerning the selling of show animals.
        • catslave54
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 4, 2010
          • Paula McWhirter-Buck
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 4, 2010
              ok....THAT'S just scary....
              i feel so embarrassed for the poor dog.
              i only want a collie mix to look like a german shephard mix...
              but thanks for sharing...

              blessings,
              paula

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 4, 2010
                That's what I was thinking: Those poor humiliated dogs! :-( (Yes, I'm sure they're loved by their owners, but still!)

                yocepha

                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Paula McWhirter-Buck <keridwyn_98@...> wrote:

                > ok....THAT'S just scary....
                > i feel so embarrassed for the poor dog.
                > i only want a collie mix to look like a german shephard mix...
                > but thanks for sharing...
                >
                > blessings,
                > paula
                >

                > From: catslave54 <zimmermanel@...>
                > Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Poodles to dye for
                > To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                > Date: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 9:55 AM
                >
                > Well, have a look at what dye does for these dogs! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1208913/The-poodles-transformed-pandas-horses-snails-creative-grooming-dog-shows.html

              • marky murray
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 5, 2010
                  sorry all, but I thought they were really cute!! Truth be told, in the
                  past, I have had dogs that would not have minded me 'messing' with them like
                  that... as long as the smells were not to bad... I think they probably used
                  food color grade dyes. My current dogs would not tolerate it... but those
                  dogs are used to being groomed for long periods of time... The show poodles
                  I have watched in grooming actually lay on one side while the other is
                  de-tangled... and I am sure they gave the dogs breaks... I used to go to
                  dogs shows lots... and the dogs are not mistreated during grooming.... most
                  seem to like it . getting treats and loves and breaks as needed. I can't
                  speak to these particular dogs.... but 'dog people' in general really love
                  their critters.

                  Just my thoughts... marky.....