Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] maybe a strange question...

  • Sylvia Rognstad
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
      How about Kool-Aid?

      Sylvia Rognstad
      Costume/clothing design & construction
      Alterations & home dec
      http://www.ezzyworld.com

      On Aug 1, 2010, at 7:28 PM, Paula McWhirter-Buck wrote:

      > maybe a strange question...if there is such a thing, in this
      > business....
      >
      > just wondering if there's a dog safe hair dye...turning a orange
      > dog into a shephard mix for film.
      > any suggestions would be helpful.
      > it is MY dog that will be using it...if it gets used.
      > if i dont KNOW its totally safe for her, we wont use it.
      >
      > thanks for any help.
      >
      > brightest of blessings,
      > paula
      >
      > "THE TIME HAS COME", THE WALRUS SAID,"TO TALK OF MANY THINGS.
      >
      > OF SHOES, AND SHIPS AND SEALING WAX, OF CABBAGES AND KINGS.
      >
      > AND WHY THE SEA IS BOILING HOT, AND WHETHER PIGS HAVE WINGS."

    • Judith Cataldo
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
        Kool-Aid and Wilton's food dye are safe, I've seen them used on sheep and a
        turkey BUT it is also illegal in several states to dye an animal.

        Judy

        My DH and I just opened a brand new show. This was the first show
        where I got to play in the costume prop world by making some odd hats and
        costume prop pieces. At the same time my DH has started making alot of
        really cool hand props for shows. Considering how much he and I were
        stumbling over who got which paints, pliers, and glues when we decided to
        make a "prop workshop" for all the shared stuff.

        Currently we have: Glues, spray paints, brushes ect. We also have drills,
        screw drivers, and saws.

        We are hoping to add a small air brush, and dremel tool. Are there anythings
        that you would recomend that we add our workshop?

        I'd like to surprise him with a few new "toys" as a good show gift.

      • Paula McWhirter-Buck
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 2, 2010
          no water involved.
          shooting will go on for almost 3 months, and dog is involved in most scenes.

          kook aid sounds like it might work.

          great suggestions, and things i hadnt thought about...

          blessings,
          paula

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 2, 2010
            You might also check with a groomer that's been in the biz a long time--I
            had friends (we're talking 30 years ago) who had a white standard poodle
            that they'd have "color tipped" seasonally--red/green for Christmas, pink
            for Valentines Day, green for St. Patrick's Day, pastel colors for Spring,
            that sort of thing.

            Whoever mentioned checking to see the legality of dying animals is correct
            too, just to be sure--I know in Michigan it's illegal to dye baby chick
            and rabbits. I doubt the regulation would cover larger animals, but it
            could, so there would be no fraud concerning the selling of show animals.

            ~lisa.s

            ~lisa.s llsturts<AT>greatlakes<DOT>net
          • GCKidd
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 3, 2010
              Actually, depending on the animal, it would be illegal to dye them in ANY state. Horses, for instance, have their coloration and distinctive features documented as part of their ownership papers. Now, granted, you could probably dye them (if you could get them to hold still for it, which would vary a lot from horse to horse) and have no problem as long as you didn't try to sell or transport the horse any significant distance...but you could also find yourself in a world of trouble if that distance went across state lines.

              I'd talk to a groomer, about a dog. Kool-Aid would probably work, but the groomer (if that's not what they're already using, which is possible) may have something that can give you a more predictable result.

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, llsturts@... wrote:

              > Whoever mentioned checking to see the legality of dying animals is correct
              > too, just to be sure--I know in Michigan it's illegal to dye baby chick
              > and rabbits. I doubt the regulation would cover larger animals, but it
              > could, so there would be no fraud concerning the selling of show animals.
            • catslave54
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 4, 2010
              • Paula McWhirter-Buck
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 4, 2010
                  ok....THAT'S just scary....
                  i feel so embarrassed for the poor dog.
                  i only want a collie mix to look like a german shephard mix...
                  but thanks for sharing...

                  blessings,
                  paula

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 4, 2010
                    That's what I was thinking: Those poor humiliated dogs! :-( (Yes, I'm sure they're loved by their owners, but still!)

                    yocepha

                    --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Paula McWhirter-Buck <keridwyn_98@...> wrote:

                    > ok....THAT'S just scary....
                    > i feel so embarrassed for the poor dog.
                    > i only want a collie mix to look like a german shephard mix...
                    > but thanks for sharing...
                    >
                    > blessings,
                    > paula
                    >

                    > From: catslave54 <zimmermanel@...>
                    > Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Poodles to dye for
                    > To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                    > Date: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 9:55 AM
                    >
                    > Well, have a look at what dye does for these dogs! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1208913/The-poodles-transformed-pandas-horses-snails-creative-grooming-dog-shows.html

                  • marky murray
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 5, 2010
                      sorry all, but I thought they were really cute!! Truth be told, in the
                      past, I have had dogs that would not have minded me 'messing' with them like
                      that... as long as the smells were not to bad... I think they probably used
                      food color grade dyes. My current dogs would not tolerate it... but those
                      dogs are used to being groomed for long periods of time... The show poodles
                      I have watched in grooming actually lay on one side while the other is
                      de-tangled... and I am sure they gave the dogs breaks... I used to go to
                      dogs shows lots... and the dogs are not mistreated during grooming.... most
                      seem to like it . getting treats and loves and breaks as needed. I can't
                      speak to these particular dogs.... but 'dog people' in general really love
                      their critters.

                      Just my thoughts... marky.....