maybe a strange question...

  • Paula McWhirter-Buck
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
      maybe a strange question...if there is such a thing, in this business....

      just wondering if there's a dog safe hair dye...turning a orange dog into a shephard mix for film.
      any suggestions would be helpful.
      it is MY dog that will be using it...if it gets used.
      if i dont KNOW its totally safe for her, we wont use it.

      thanks for any help.

      brightest of blessings,
      paula

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
        will there be water involved in the filming ?

        how many days will it need to last ?

        last week i was in a health food store and noticed that they had hair dyes-
        sorry i don't have any brand names but might be worth checking out -

        retshopbuyer

        ---- Paula McWhirter-Buck <keridwyn_98@...> wrote:
        > maybe a strange question...if there is such a thing, in this business....
        >
        > just wondering if there's a dog safe hair dye...turning a orange dog into a shephard mix for film.
        > any suggestions would be helpful.
        > it is MY dog that will be using it...if it gets used.
        > if i dont KNOW its totally safe for her, we wont use it.
        >
        > thanks for any help.
        >
        > brightest of blessings,
        > paula
        >

        > "THE TIME HAS COME", THE WALRUS SAID,"TO TALK OF MANY THINGS.
        >
        > OF SHOES, AND SHIPS AND SEALING WAX, OF CABBAGES AND KINGS.
        >
        > AND WHY THE SEA IS BOILING HOT, AND WHETHER PIGS HAVE WINGS."

      • Sylvia Rognstad
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
          How about Kool-Aid?

          Sylvia Rognstad
          Costume/clothing design & construction
          Alterations & home dec
          http://www.ezzyworld.com

          On Aug 1, 2010, at 7:28 PM, Paula McWhirter-Buck wrote:

          > maybe a strange question...if there is such a thing, in this
          > business....
          >
          > just wondering if there's a dog safe hair dye...turning a orange
          > dog into a shephard mix for film.
          > any suggestions would be helpful.
          > it is MY dog that will be using it...if it gets used.
          > if i dont KNOW its totally safe for her, we wont use it.
          >
          > thanks for any help.
          >
          > brightest of blessings,
          > paula
          >
          > "THE TIME HAS COME", THE WALRUS SAID,"TO TALK OF MANY THINGS.
          >
          > OF SHOES, AND SHIPS AND SEALING WAX, OF CABBAGES AND KINGS.
          >
          > AND WHY THE SEA IS BOILING HOT, AND WHETHER PIGS HAVE WINGS."

        • Judith Cataldo
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
            Kool-Aid and Wilton's food dye are safe, I've seen them used on sheep and a
            turkey BUT it is also illegal in several states to dye an animal.

            Judy

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 2, 2010
              no water involved.
              shooting will go on for almost 3 months, and dog is involved in most scenes.

              kook aid sounds like it might work.

              great suggestions, and things i hadnt thought about...

              blessings,
              paula

            • llsturts@greatlakes.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 2, 2010
                You might also check with a groomer that's been in the biz a long time--I
                had friends (we're talking 30 years ago) who had a white standard poodle
                that they'd have "color tipped" seasonally--red/green for Christmas, pink
                for Valentines Day, green for St. Patrick's Day, pastel colors for Spring,
                that sort of thing.

                Whoever mentioned checking to see the legality of dying animals is correct
                too, just to be sure--I know in Michigan it's illegal to dye baby chick
                and rabbits. I doubt the regulation would cover larger animals, but it
                could, so there would be no fraud concerning the selling of show animals.

                ~lisa.s

                ~lisa.s llsturts<AT>greatlakes<DOT>net
              • GCKidd
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 3, 2010
                  Actually, depending on the animal, it would be illegal to dye them in ANY state. Horses, for instance, have their coloration and distinctive features documented as part of their ownership papers. Now, granted, you could probably dye them (if you could get them to hold still for it, which would vary a lot from horse to horse) and have no problem as long as you didn't try to sell or transport the horse any significant distance...but you could also find yourself in a world of trouble if that distance went across state lines.

                  I'd talk to a groomer, about a dog. Kool-Aid would probably work, but the groomer (if that's not what they're already using, which is possible) may have something that can give you a more predictable result.

                  --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, llsturts@... wrote:

                  > Whoever mentioned checking to see the legality of dying animals is correct
                  > too, just to be sure--I know in Michigan it's illegal to dye baby chick
                  > and rabbits. I doubt the regulation would cover larger animals, but it
                  > could, so there would be no fraud concerning the selling of show animals.
                • catslave54
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 4, 2010
                  • Paula McWhirter-Buck
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 4, 2010
                      ok....THAT'S just scary....
                      i feel so embarrassed for the poor dog.
                      i only want a collie mix to look like a german shephard mix...
                      but thanks for sharing...

                      blessings,
                      paula

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 4, 2010
                        That's what I was thinking: Those poor humiliated dogs! :-( (Yes, I'm sure they're loved by their owners, but still!)

                        yocepha

                        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Paula McWhirter-Buck <keridwyn_98@...> wrote:

                        > ok....THAT'S just scary....
                        > i feel so embarrassed for the poor dog.
                        > i only want a collie mix to look like a german shephard mix...
                        > but thanks for sharing...
                        >
                        > blessings,
                        > paula
                        >

                        > From: catslave54 <zimmermanel@...>
                        > Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Poodles to dye for
                        > To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                        > Date: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 9:55 AM
                        >
                        > Well, have a look at what dye does for these dogs! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1208913/The-poodles-transformed-pandas-horses-snails-creative-grooming-dog-shows.html

                      • marky murray
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 5, 2010
                          sorry all, but I thought they were really cute!! Truth be told, in the
                          past, I have had dogs that would not have minded me 'messing' with them like
                          that... as long as the smells were not to bad... I think they probably used
                          food color grade dyes. My current dogs would not tolerate it... but those
                          dogs are used to being groomed for long periods of time... The show poodles
                          I have watched in grooming actually lay on one side while the other is
                          de-tangled... and I am sure they gave the dogs breaks... I used to go to
                          dogs shows lots... and the dogs are not mistreated during grooming.... most
                          seem to like it . getting treats and loves and breaks as needed. I can't
                          speak to these particular dogs.... but 'dog people' in general really love
                          their critters.

                          Just my thoughts... marky.....