costume/prop tools

  • jilbyfuzz
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 16, 2010
      My DH and I just opened a brand new show. This was the first show where I got to play in the costume prop world by making some odd hats and costume prop pieces. At the same time my DH has started making alot of really cool hand props for shows. Considering how much he and I were stumbling over who got which paints, pliers, and glues when we decided to make a "prop workshop" for all the shared stuff.

      Currently we have: Glues, spray paints, brushes ect. We also have drills, screw drivers, and saws.
      We are hoping to add a small air brush, and dremel tool. Are there anythings that you would recomend that we add our workshop?

      I'd like to surprise him with a few new "toys" as a good show gift.
    • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 17, 2010
        Pliers - needle nose, regular, and a couple of styles of jewelry-type ones.
        Small soldering iron
        Set of X-acto or other craft knives
        Wire cutters (large and jewelry-size)
        Good-size silicone mat (Sil-Pat) - look for something in the cookware
        area of a store - these are used for lining cookie sheets, etc. It's
        invaluable when gluing or doing other messy tasks, as NOTHING sticks
        to it, and it's heat resistant to 500 deg. Good table protection
        when soldering or hot gluing as well. Just DON'T use it for cooking after.

        Sandy

        At 09:35 AM 7/16/2010, you wrote:

        >Currently we have: Glues, spray paints, brushes ect. We also have
        >drills, screw drivers, and saws.
        >We are hoping to add a small air brush, and dremel tool. Are there
        >anythings that you would recomend that we add our workshop?
        >
        >I'd like to surprise him with a few new "toys" as a good show gift.

        "Those Who Fail to Learn History
        Are Doomed to Repeat It;
        Why They Are Simply Doomed."

        Achemdro'hm
        "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
        -- C. Y. 4971

        Andromeda
      • GCKidd
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 18, 2010
          Make sure you get a GOOD Dremel tool (like, the actual name-brand one...) I have a couple of no-name ones...one has been really handy and held up really well under a lot of varied work...the other is just a couple of steps above useless (although it works really well for grinding off the remnant of earring posts when I have to convert earrings to be clip-on style...)

          If you'd asked me this question 10 years ago, I would have had a full list (I'd just helped put together a props shop for an opera company that had just moved into a new production facility). I don't have any of my lists from back then, anymore (three changes of computer and about six changes of address later...)

          Items I have found handy through the years--

          In addition to an airbrush, I have a touch-up spray gun (it's like a mini-spray gun)...great for covering larger areas in short order, if you don't need detail work done with it. I often use mine in conjunction with the airbrush.

          A good pair of nippers, in addition to the pliers. These aren't crucial, but if you're trying to take out old nails, they're much more helpful than pliers and fit in places that you just can't get a claw hammer. They're also great for cutting off jewelry posts if you don't want the post from earrings in the way (either to rig them as clip-ons or to turn them into decorative trim pieces).

          A variety of glues. Super-glue is really good for some work...epoxy is better for some others, and there are some jobs where contact cement just can't be beat. One of my biggest frustrations in years past at my current job has been trying to 'make do' with the wrong adhesive for certain jobs (because I know I'm just going to have to re-glue the item in question next week...by which time, hopefully, purchasing has finally gotten the glue I asked for.)

          I think, with what you've already listed and what has already been suggested, you've got the essentials covered. The only other note of advice I'd throw out for consideration are ones I learned from one of my friends and my older brother...

          --Label EVERYTHING or you will find it wandering off. I've had stuff wander away at the park, even though we're technically the only ones who use any of it (can't even begin to count how many pairs of scissors were 'borrowed' and just vanished into thin air--even AFTER we labelled all of 'em). When I was at the opera company, I had a rather heated exchange with the Technical Director because he kept sending guys from the scene shop to borrow stuff from the props shop...and we never got it back (and it kept eating into the props budget, having to get replacements for tools we NEEDED that just happened to be convenient for the scene shop.)

          --If you find that you're wishing for a particular tool three times or more, odds are good you're going to continue finding a need for it. Get it as soon as you can afford to. You may not use it constantly...but when you DO need it, you will find it saving you crucial time and frustration.

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "jilbyfuzz" <shanntarra@...> wrote:

          > My DH and I just opened a brand new show. This was the first show where I got to play in the costume prop world by making some odd hats and costume prop pieces. At the same time my DH has started making alot of really cool hand props for shows. Considering how much he and I were stumbling over who got which paints, pliers, and glues when we decided to make a "prop workshop" for all the shared stuff.
          >
          > Currently we have: Glues, spray paints, brushes ect. We also have drills, screw drivers, and saws.
          > We are hoping to add a small air brush, and dremel tool. Are there anythings that you would recomend that we add our workshop?
          >
          > I'd like to surprise him with a few new "toys" as a good show gift.

        • Paula McWhirter-Buck
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
            maybe a strange question...if there is such a thing, in this business....

            just wondering if there's a dog safe hair dye...turning a orange dog into a shephard mix for film.
            any suggestions would be helpful.
            it is MY dog that will be using it...if it gets used.
            if i dont KNOW its totally safe for her, we wont use it.

            thanks for any help.

            brightest of blessings,
            paula

          • retshopbuyer@charter.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
              will there be water involved in the filming ?

              how many days will it need to last ?

              last week i was in a health food store and noticed that they had hair dyes-
              sorry i don't have any brand names but might be worth checking out -

              retshopbuyer

              ---- Paula McWhirter-Buck <keridwyn_98@...> wrote:
              > maybe a strange question...if there is such a thing, in this business....
              >
              > just wondering if there's a dog safe hair dye...turning a orange dog into a shephard mix for film.
              > any suggestions would be helpful.
              > it is MY dog that will be using it...if it gets used.
              > if i dont KNOW its totally safe for her, we wont use it.
              >
              > thanks for any help.
              >
              > brightest of blessings,
              > paula
              >

              > "THE TIME HAS COME", THE WALRUS SAID,"TO TALK OF MANY THINGS.
              >
              > OF SHOES, AND SHIPS AND SEALING WAX, OF CABBAGES AND KINGS.
              >
              > AND WHY THE SEA IS BOILING HOT, AND WHETHER PIGS HAVE WINGS."

            • Sylvia Rognstad
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
                How about Kool-Aid?

                Sylvia Rognstad
                Costume/clothing design & construction
                Alterations & home dec
                http://www.ezzyworld.com

                On Aug 1, 2010, at 7:28 PM, Paula McWhirter-Buck wrote:

                > maybe a strange question...if there is such a thing, in this
                > business....
                >
                > just wondering if there's a dog safe hair dye...turning a orange
                > dog into a shephard mix for film.
                > any suggestions would be helpful.
                > it is MY dog that will be using it...if it gets used.
                > if i dont KNOW its totally safe for her, we wont use it.
                >
                > thanks for any help.
                >
                > brightest of blessings,
                > paula
                >
                > "THE TIME HAS COME", THE WALRUS SAID,"TO TALK OF MANY THINGS.
                >
                > OF SHOES, AND SHIPS AND SEALING WAX, OF CABBAGES AND KINGS.
                >
                > AND WHY THE SEA IS BOILING HOT, AND WHETHER PIGS HAVE WINGS."

              • Judith Cataldo
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
                  Kool-Aid and Wilton's food dye are safe, I've seen them used on sheep and a
                  turkey BUT it is also illegal in several states to dye an animal.

                  Judy

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 2, 2010
                    no water involved.
                    shooting will go on for almost 3 months, and dog is involved in most scenes.

                    kook aid sounds like it might work.

                    great suggestions, and things i hadnt thought about...

                    blessings,
                    paula

                  • llsturts@greatlakes.net
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 2, 2010
                      You might also check with a groomer that's been in the biz a long time--I
                      had friends (we're talking 30 years ago) who had a white standard poodle
                      that they'd have "color tipped" seasonally--red/green for Christmas, pink
                      for Valentines Day, green for St. Patrick's Day, pastel colors for Spring,
                      that sort of thing.

                      Whoever mentioned checking to see the legality of dying animals is correct
                      too, just to be sure--I know in Michigan it's illegal to dye baby chick
                      and rabbits. I doubt the regulation would cover larger animals, but it
                      could, so there would be no fraud concerning the selling of show animals.

                      ~lisa.s

                      ~lisa.s llsturts<AT>greatlakes<DOT>net
                    • GCKidd
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 3, 2010
                        Actually, depending on the animal, it would be illegal to dye them in ANY state. Horses, for instance, have their coloration and distinctive features documented as part of their ownership papers. Now, granted, you could probably dye them (if you could get them to hold still for it, which would vary a lot from horse to horse) and have no problem as long as you didn't try to sell or transport the horse any significant distance...but you could also find yourself in a world of trouble if that distance went across state lines.

                        I'd talk to a groomer, about a dog. Kool-Aid would probably work, but the groomer (if that's not what they're already using, which is possible) may have something that can give you a more predictable result.

                        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, llsturts@... wrote:

                        > Whoever mentioned checking to see the legality of dying animals is correct
                        > too, just to be sure--I know in Michigan it's illegal to dye baby chick
                        > and rabbits. I doubt the regulation would cover larger animals, but it
                        > could, so there would be no fraud concerning the selling of show animals.
                      • catslave54
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 4, 2010
                        • Paula McWhirter-Buck
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 4, 2010
                            ok....THAT'S just scary....
                            i feel so embarrassed for the poor dog.
                            i only want a collie mix to look like a german shephard mix...
                            but thanks for sharing...

                            blessings,
                            paula

                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 4, 2010
                              That's what I was thinking: Those poor humiliated dogs! :-( (Yes, I'm sure they're loved by their owners, but still!)

                              yocepha

                              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Paula McWhirter-Buck <keridwyn_98@...> wrote:

                              > ok....THAT'S just scary....
                              > i feel so embarrassed for the poor dog.
                              > i only want a collie mix to look like a german shephard mix...
                              > but thanks for sharing...
                              >
                              > blessings,
                              > paula
                              >

                              > From: catslave54 <zimmermanel@...>
                              > Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Poodles to dye for
                              > To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                              > Date: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 9:55 AM
                              >
                              > Well, have a look at what dye does for these dogs! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1208913/The-poodles-transformed-pandas-horses-snails-creative-grooming-dog-shows.html

                            • marky murray
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 5, 2010
                                sorry all, but I thought they were really cute!! Truth be told, in the
                                past, I have had dogs that would not have minded me 'messing' with them like
                                that... as long as the smells were not to bad... I think they probably used
                                food color grade dyes. My current dogs would not tolerate it... but those
                                dogs are used to being groomed for long periods of time... The show poodles
                                I have watched in grooming actually lay on one side while the other is
                                de-tangled... and I am sure they gave the dogs breaks... I used to go to
                                dogs shows lots... and the dogs are not mistreated during grooming.... most
                                seem to like it . getting treats and loves and breaks as needed. I can't
                                speak to these particular dogs.... but 'dog people' in general really love
                                their critters.

                                Just my thoughts... marky.....