Re: Mother Goose Panto

  • cloakmakerusa
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2010
      Hi Margaret,

      For supplies, I would grab:

      > thin closed cell foam (check with anyone who received tech equipment cause then it can be had from the packaging); it makes a smooth skin over bumpy structure, it's often white and can look feathery.
      > PVC pipe - plumbing supply, (usually cheap) and angle connectors; you can use it to make a hexagon frame for supporting the body. You make 2 parallel sides longer and attach straps that go to a waist belt or suspenders to support the frame - the person stands inside the frame at one end while the frame goes out in back of them to create the body.. Drill vertical holes in the PVC to accept rings of the next material which will round the body frame
      > electrician's snake - a thin flexible wire that is like hoop skirt boning and holds a nice curve, and you can glue muslin over it (or use 2 layers and sew channels)
      > 9 gauge aluminium clothesline wire (cheap from a hardware store but expensive when you buy it in the art supply as armature wire) You can use wire hangers but they are heavier, but it's for counterweight as well as shaping anyway.

      > Duct tape (or duck tape, appropriate for a goose) for more smoothing and shaping
      > a couple of pool noodles (to create the curve of the neck over the actress' head - she can look out through painted nylon stocking in the neck.) You can give the PVC frame a couple of upright posts for the noodles to slip onto. Pipe insulation also works well, and you can thread or tape the heavy wire into this sort of foam to make it hold the shape. The foam cuts well with a razor or serrated knife.

      Here is an extreme version of a costume built this way:

      http://noel.pothole.com/gallery.html

      I'm the one in purple on the end: http://noel.pothole.com/images/body6.jpg This picture shows the PVC frames that were carried and supported the curved Electrician's snake that was threaded through channels in the outer skin. The costume broke down to a bucket of PVC pipe, a roll of snake wire, a trashbag full of dragon skin and the head which came apart into 36" wide pieces so they could be fit through normal doors.

      and later, I'm the one looking out between the dragon's eyes through the thin black nylon. There is a harness inside the head that allowed the weight to be distributed on my hips and shoulders.

      Dina

      Dina
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "mtrhmcls" <maggiespider@...> wrote:

      > I wonder if anyone can help? I've been asked to make a Priscilla the Goose cotume for our local drama group. Now, I can make all sorts of costumes, dresses, suits, whatever, but I don't know quite where to start with this one. It has to be a full goose, not someone "sitting" on the back of a goose. I only make costumes for this group as my contribution to the charities they support, so I'm not in competition with anyone. I hope someone will be able to give me some pointers. PS as I live in a village on the west coast of Scotland,US sites for supplies are cost prohibitive. Need to make costume from scratch Thank you, Margaret McLeod

    • Margaret McLeod
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2010
        Dina, Thank you SO VERY MUCH. Just one question though, what are "pool noodles" I've got the gist of the idea though and can't wait to start, but I've got so many embroidery orders which I have to finish first (they are the paying jobs) It'll take me some time to complete the goose, but will post a picture when it's done. Again, thank you. Margaret McLeod

      • thecostumersmanifesto
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 13, 2010
          They are what are sometimes called funnoodles They are a cheaply available summer pool toy ($1-4 each in summer, more expensive in winter) in the US. They are brightly colored soft foam tubes about 5 feet long, very similar to cold weather gray pipe insulation foam tubes, but more bulky, stiff, bright and cheaper. Here is a picture on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Big-Boss-Pool-Noodles-Case/dp/B000DZMAZA/thecostumersmani