Re: flaming coconuts?

  • GCKidd
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2010
      A link or video clip would be helpful, because the size and color of the flame could provide some clues about how they did it. However, I like the cotton idea...you could either go with the alcohol, or (if you want a flame that will last longer) you could also try working some petroleum jelly into the cotton (it's a 'quick fire-starter' technique I picked up from some backpacking friends--the petroleum jelly, or the cotton, alone, don't burn very well, if at all. But together, the jelly acts as a fuel and the cotton acts as a wick). If you can secure a small metal hook in the bottom of the coconut, you can snag the cotton onto it (wrap it around several times) and keep it secure.

      However, the alcohol will light more easily, I'm sure, and should burn long enough for the purposes of a number or two (I'd still try the metal hook inside the coconut to hold the cotton in place). Whichever route you go, if you aren't doing it already, keep a wet towel handy off-stage to douse flames in a hurry.

      The hook would probably also work with a wick...but I think a wick and tiki oil would 'cook off' too quickly and you wouldn't get the effect you're looking for. Of course, tiki lamps are designed to burn with an open flame, so it might work (I'm more concerned that the oil would burn off too quickly without a larger reservoir to draw from).

      I know a couple of people who do fire-eating/fire-spinning, with a wide variety of implements...I can try asking around and see if they've got any suggestions...

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, rebecca bunny flower <bunnyflower@...> wrote:

      > Do you have any video recordings of the number with the visible flames? I am
      > curious to see it...

      <SNIP...>