Re: Henna and temporary tattoos

  • maggieprizazz
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2010
      I would just like to second this motion that unadulterated henna is safe. I have been dying my hair with henna for 6 years; it's more gentle than synthetic dyes which sting my scalp. Use has been widespread for thousands of years in Asia and Africa.

      Maggie

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, rebecca bunny flower <bunnyflower@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone -
      > I'd like to point out that the poster who mentioned henna causing
      > painful burns, etc, is referring to "black henna," which is henna
      > combined with the chemical PPD. Any henna artist who is legitimate
      > would never use it! Some unscrupulous people, especially in tropical
      > tourist areas, will advertise using black henna. Never go to one of
      > these! Real henna is simply a mud based from the henna plant, and is
      > very gentle. It leaves a beautiful reddish-brown stain, which will
      > last for a few days to a bit over a week, depending on how often you
      > wash.
      >
      > For the play, I don't recommend henna if you want something that looks
      > dark / black. I do recommend a temporary tattoo ink called Temptu. You
      > paint it on, cover with baby powder, and then reapply. It gives a very
      > realistic tattoo look, which I much prefer over other tattoo makeups.
      > Also, it can be difficult to get an extremely fine line with henna if
      > you want to have clearly readable names, but with Temptu, you can use
      > a fine brush to paint it on. The Temptu tattoo will last for days and
      > should get you through the run of the show. Here's a link with more
      > info on it:
      > http://www.hennapage.com/henna/how/harquus/
      >
      > hope this helps! And don't be scared of real henna... But do be scared
      > of henna with PPD!
      >
      > :)
      >
      > Rebecca

    • Barby
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 10, 2010
        Thanks a lot - I have never used henna of any sort, so thank you for the clarification!
        Barby