Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Help! Looking for uniform to rent

  • Meg McLean
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 9, 2010
      Ask the Army! Seriously ask them cos they like being community minded and seen to be the good guys. The other though is your veteran's associations in America. Most folks keep their uniform there. The British Army is mean and takes them back unless you are an officer
      Meg

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 9, 2010
        We did a production of A Few Good Men in our community theatre a few years ago and our men were not "Hollywood" sizes. I had a very difficult time finding larger sizes of dress uniforms.

        I finally ended up buying the largest uniform I could find and then letting the seams out as far as possible and then adding a side gusset to accomodate girth as needed. Not the very best scenario, but they ended up not looking too bad.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 9, 2010
          I checked with the Army, and you can only bid on decomissioned items in large bulk quantities - I'm talking bidding on lots of items with a starting bid in the thousands of dollars. They don't have any options to purchase 1 item in a particular size.

          I haven't been able to find anything that could be let out - and down - enough to do me any good. Most guys entering the military are teenagers and considerably smaller than the 50-long that I need.

          Thanks for the suggestions, though!

          Donna

          I'm in need of a Class A Army uniform for a production of Biloxi Blues in July. Here's the catch: the actor is 6'2, 275lbs with a 49" chest. So, he would wear roughly a 50L suit. I've checked all my usual sources, with no luck so far (CostumeWorld, KC Costume, major theatres in town, army surplus stores). I'd REALLY prefer not to have to build this. Does anyone know where I can find one to rent? Thanks!

          Donna

        • Carin JACOBS
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 9, 2010
            Try this guy:

            ; aiel - American Import Export Ltd.
            519 IH 30
            Rockwall, Texas, 75087 - USA
            Tele: 972-226 9933 Cell: 214-417 2200 any time!
            http://www.1aiel.com - Email: aiel@...
            or
            Att: Bob Hansen
            Shipping address: 6326 Briarknoll
            Garland, Tx. 75043

            Carin
            www.CarinJacobsCostumeDesign.com
            562-547-9276 cell

            To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 9, 2010
              Check with Anvil Arms in Salisbury, NC. I have been renting from them for
              various productions. They provide excellent service and are extremely
              knowledgeable about military uniforms of all types.
              Esther Iverson
              Valdosta State University
              Valdosta, GA

            • retshopbuyer@charter.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 9, 2010
                i was thring to remember this company-
                luther is quite the southern gentleman and is very helpful -

                retshopbuyer

                ---- Esther Iverson <esther.iverson@...> wrote:
                > Check with Anvil Arms in Salisbury, NC. I have been renting from them for
                > various productions. They provide excellent service and are extremely
                > knowledgeable about military uniforms of all types.
                > Esther Iverson
                > Valdosta State University
                > Valdosta, GA

              • Barby
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 10, 2010
                  Have you tried Col. Bubbie's in TX? They have been pretty helpful to me in the past - I had a similar situation with fatigues for a British Army soldier and my actor was 6'5". the actual company is Strand Surplus and they are in Galveston, TX - the url is www.colbubbie.com
                  Good luck!
                  Barby

                • lanorte1@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 10, 2010
                    Thanks. Do you happen to know an email address? I couldn't come up with a website for them.

                    Donna

                  • retshopbuyer@charter.net
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 10, 2010
                      not sure he has either a website or email -

                      this is the info i last used for him-
                      about 8 or so years ago -

                      Luther Sowers
                      704-633-4170
                      anvil arms
                      5050 statesville blvd
                      salisbury nc 28147

                    • lanorte1@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 10, 2010
                        Thanks - I reached him by phone, and he was very nice & interesting. But no luck on the uniform.

                        New question: does anyone have a pattern for a WWII Army uniform?

                        sigh!

                        Donna

                        ---- lanorte1@... wrote:

                        > Thanks. Do you happen to know an email address? I couldn't come up with a website for them.
                        >
                        > Donna

                      • Carin JACOBS
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 10, 2010
                          did you try Bob Hansen?

                          To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com

                          ---- lanorte1@... wrote:

                          > Thanks. Do you happen to know an email address? I couldn't come up with a website for them.
                          >
                          > Donna

                        • sonia roman
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 11, 2010
                            why don't you try a salvation army store?

                          • kschaub@embarqmail.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 13, 2010
                              Have you tried the army navy stores on contact the local american legion to see if they can help locate one