Help! Looking for uniform to rent

  • lanorte1
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 9, 2010
      I'm in need of a Class A Army uniform for a production of Biloxi Blues in July. Here's the catch: the actor is 6'2, 275lbs with a 49" chest. So, he would wear roughly a 50L suit. I've checked all my usual sources, with no luck so far (CostumeWorld, KC Costume, major theatres in town, army surplus stores). I'd REALLY prefer not to have to build this. Does anyone know where I can find one to rent? Thanks!

      Donna
    • Meg McLean
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 9, 2010
        Ask the Army! Seriously ask them cos they like being community minded and seen to be the good guys. The other though is your veteran's associations in America. Most folks keep their uniform there. The British Army is mean and takes them back unless you are an officer
        Meg

        ________________________________
        I'm in need of a Class A Army uniform for a production of Biloxi Blues in July. Here's the catch: the actor is 6'2, 275lbs with a 49" chest. So, he would wear roughly a 50L suit. I've checked all my usual sources, with no luck so far (CostumeWorld, KC Costume, major theatres in town, army surplus stores). I'd REALLY prefer not to have to build this. Does anyone know where I can find one to rent? Thanks!

        Donna

      • Robbin Davis
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 9, 2010
          We did a production of A Few Good Men in our community theatre a few years ago and our men were not "Hollywood" sizes. I had a very difficult time finding larger sizes of dress uniforms.

          I finally ended up buying the largest uniform I could find and then letting the seams out as far as possible and then adding a side gusset to accomodate girth as needed. Not the very best scenario, but they ended up not looking too bad.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 9, 2010
            I checked with the Army, and you can only bid on decomissioned items in large bulk quantities - I'm talking bidding on lots of items with a starting bid in the thousands of dollars. They don't have any options to purchase 1 item in a particular size.

            I haven't been able to find anything that could be let out - and down - enough to do me any good. Most guys entering the military are teenagers and considerably smaller than the 50-long that I need.

            Thanks for the suggestions, though!

            Donna

            I'm in need of a Class A Army uniform for a production of Biloxi Blues in July. Here's the catch: the actor is 6'2, 275lbs with a 49" chest. So, he would wear roughly a 50L suit. I've checked all my usual sources, with no luck so far (CostumeWorld, KC Costume, major theatres in town, army surplus stores). I'd REALLY prefer not to have to build this. Does anyone know where I can find one to rent? Thanks!

            Donna

          • Carin JACOBS
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 9, 2010
              Try this guy:

              ; aiel - American Import Export Ltd.
              519 IH 30
              Rockwall, Texas, 75087 - USA
              Tele: 972-226 9933 Cell: 214-417 2200 any time!
              http://www.1aiel.com - Email: aiel@...
              or
              Att: Bob Hansen
              Shipping address: 6326 Briarknoll
              Garland, Tx. 75043

              Carin
              www.CarinJacobsCostumeDesign.com
              562-547-9276 cell

              To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 9, 2010
                Check with Anvil Arms in Salisbury, NC. I have been renting from them for
                various productions. They provide excellent service and are extremely
                knowledgeable about military uniforms of all types.
                Esther Iverson
                Valdosta State University
                Valdosta, GA

              • retshopbuyer@charter.net
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 9, 2010
                  i was thring to remember this company-
                  luther is quite the southern gentleman and is very helpful -

                  retshopbuyer

                  ---- Esther Iverson <esther.iverson@...> wrote:
                  > Check with Anvil Arms in Salisbury, NC. I have been renting from them for
                  > various productions. They provide excellent service and are extremely
                  > knowledgeable about military uniforms of all types.
                  > Esther Iverson
                  > Valdosta State University
                  > Valdosta, GA

                • Barby
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 10, 2010
                    Have you tried Col. Bubbie's in TX? They have been pretty helpful to me in the past - I had a similar situation with fatigues for a British Army soldier and my actor was 6'5". the actual company is Strand Surplus and they are in Galveston, TX - the url is www.colbubbie.com
                    Good luck!
                    Barby

                  • lanorte1@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 10, 2010
                      Thanks. Do you happen to know an email address? I couldn't come up with a website for them.

                      Donna

                    • retshopbuyer@charter.net
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 10, 2010
                        not sure he has either a website or email -

                        this is the info i last used for him-
                        about 8 or so years ago -

                        Luther Sowers
                        704-633-4170
                        anvil arms
                        5050 statesville blvd
                        salisbury nc 28147

                      • lanorte1@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 10, 2010
                          Thanks - I reached him by phone, and he was very nice & interesting. But no luck on the uniform.

                          New question: does anyone have a pattern for a WWII Army uniform?

                          sigh!

                          Donna

                          ---- lanorte1@... wrote:

                          > Thanks. Do you happen to know an email address? I couldn't come up with a website for them.
                          >
                          > Donna

                        • Carin JACOBS
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 10, 2010
                            did you try Bob Hansen?

                            To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com

                            ---- lanorte1@... wrote:

                            > Thanks. Do you happen to know an email address? I couldn't come up with a website for them.
                            >
                            > Donna

                          • sonia roman
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 11, 2010
                              why don't you try a salvation army store?

                            • kschaub@embarqmail.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 13, 2010
                                Have you tried the army navy stores on contact the local american legion to see if they can help locate one