Henna and temporary tattoos

  • rebecca bunny flower
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2010
      Hi everyone -
      I'd like to point out that the poster who mentioned henna causing
      painful burns, etc, is referring to "black henna," which is henna
      combined with the chemical PPD. Any henna artist who is legitimate
      would never use it! Some unscrupulous people, especially in tropical
      tourist areas, will advertise using black henna. Never go to one of
      these! Real henna is simply a mud based from the henna plant, and is
      very gentle. It leaves a beautiful reddish-brown stain, which will
      last for a few days to a bit over a week, depending on how often you
      wash.

      For the play, I don't recommend henna if you want something that looks
      dark / black. I do recommend a temporary tattoo ink called Temptu. You
      paint it on, cover with baby powder, and then reapply. It gives a very
      realistic tattoo look, which I much prefer over other tattoo makeups.
      Also, it can be difficult to get an extremely fine line with henna if
      you want to have clearly readable names, but with Temptu, you can use
      a fine brush to paint it on. The Temptu tattoo will last for days and
      should get you through the run of the show. Here's a link with more
      info on it:
      http://www.hennapage.com/henna/how/harquus/

      hope this helps! And don't be scared of real henna... But do be scared
      of henna with PPD!

      :)

      Rebecca
    • maggieprizazz
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 10, 2010
        I would just like to second this motion that unadulterated henna is safe. I have been dying my hair with henna for 6 years; it's more gentle than synthetic dyes which sting my scalp. Use has been widespread for thousands of years in Asia and Africa.

        Maggie

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, rebecca bunny flower <bunnyflower@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone -
        > I'd like to point out that the poster who mentioned henna causing
        > painful burns, etc, is referring to "black henna," which is henna
        > combined with the chemical PPD. Any henna artist who is legitimate
        > would never use it! Some unscrupulous people, especially in tropical
        > tourist areas, will advertise using black henna. Never go to one of
        > these! Real henna is simply a mud based from the henna plant, and is
        > very gentle. It leaves a beautiful reddish-brown stain, which will
        > last for a few days to a bit over a week, depending on how often you
        > wash.
        >
        > For the play, I don't recommend henna if you want something that looks
        > dark / black. I do recommend a temporary tattoo ink called Temptu. You
        > paint it on, cover with baby powder, and then reapply. It gives a very
        > realistic tattoo look, which I much prefer over other tattoo makeups.
        > Also, it can be difficult to get an extremely fine line with henna if
        > you want to have clearly readable names, but with Temptu, you can use
        > a fine brush to paint it on. The Temptu tattoo will last for days and
        > should get you through the run of the show. Here's a link with more
        > info on it:
        > http://www.hennapage.com/henna/how/harquus/
        >
        > hope this helps! And don't be scared of real henna... But do be scared
        > of henna with PPD!
        >
        > :)
        >
        > Rebecca

      • Barby
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 10, 2010
          Thanks a lot - I have never used henna of any sort, so thank you for the clarification!
          Barby