Re:Distress buckets?

  • KEVIN LARSEN
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
      Try using matte spray paint. Use brown, dk grey and black as a shadow. Find a picture or a old bucket as a model for ideas on color placement. Seal with a matte sealer.
      Smiles, Brandie www.mysillybluehippo.etsy.com<http://www.mysillybluehippo.etsy.com/>

    • alphawolf1_99
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
        I use either shoe polish combined with paste wax to dull the surface and give a little darkening or the undercoating spray paint that is rust colored.
        Susan
        Alter Egos Costumes

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "annybanany2" <annybanany2@...> wrote:

        > We are rehearsing for Annie and the prop mistress purchased some of those shiny metal cleaning buckets to use on stage. I can distress fabric, but am not sure how to make those shiny buckets look old and worn. A few dents maybe, but anyone have any idea how to make the outside look dull and used? thank you in advance.

      • GCKidd
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
          The fastest and easiest way to do it is to dust them with some light gray and rust-brown spray primer. Takes the gleam right out of them, and also gives them a weathered, slightly dirty look. I'd go easy on the dents unless they were supposed to have been abused, maybe one or two per bucket. But the gray and brown primer have worked for me on MANY occasions.

        • retshopbuyer@charter.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
            sounds like a prop job to me -

            retshopbuyer

            ---- annybanany2 <annybanany2@...> wrote:
            > We are rehearsing for Annie and the prop mistress purchased some of those shiny metal cleaning buckets to use on stage. I can distress fabric, but am not sure how to make those shiny buckets look old and worn. A few dents maybe, but anyone have any idea how to make the outside look dull and used? thank you in advance.

          • annybanany2
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 8, 2010
              All good ideas.. will try them out. Our prop person doesn't see why the orphans can't be using bright shiny buckets.. Sometimes costuming in a little theater requires you to do everything, even props.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 9, 2010
                i used to do things for props-
                til i realized that as long as i did them they would not start doing them for themselves-
                as for shiney buckets on stage, let the director handle it-
                maybe it is time for a new prop person-

                retshopbuyer