RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] Temporary tattoos

  • Carin JACOBS
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 7, 2010
      I did a production of Electricidad...LA Gang culture...needed lots of tattoos. I found a guy in the L.A. area that does "spray on" temporary tattoos. Here is the info if you are in the L.A. area:

      Location in the Southern California area
      Phone: Perry 310.686.1956
      Email: tatstattoo@...
      If you are in a different area, I'm sure there is something similar. The tattoos last about 1 week if they are protected while showering.
      Carin
      www.CarinJacobsCostumeDesign.com

      To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
      From: babsdesign3@...
      Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 11:20:26 +0000
      Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Temporary tattoos

      I am designing The Last of the Boys, and the younger actress needs to have her torso tattooed all over with the names from the VietNam Memorial Wall. Any suggestions?? We run Thurs - Sundays, with three days off. I was thinking about henna. Saw some black temporary body ink on a henna site, but know nothing about it. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We would prefer to not have to apply every night due to the time consideration.
      Thanks, Barby

    • Barby
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 8, 2010
        EGADS! I had no idea! This is why I have all you folks for help! Thanks. The body stocking idea is a good one - I just wish the theatre were a bit larger so it was not as obvious.
        Thanks for the advice! Barby

      • llsturts@greatlakes.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 8, 2010
          My first show up in the Fall is Almost, Maine (and if there is anyone out
          there from Maine, would you please contact me please?! Thanks.) and need
          only a small word tattoo. This place <http://tattoolettering.net/> was
          recommended to me. I don't know anything about the durability or price for
          your application, but it's a possible source.

          When does your show go up? If it's before October,would you please let me
          know what/how you decide to handle the need? Good luck!

          ~lisa.s

          --
          ~lisa.s llsturts<AT>greatlakes<DOT>net
        • Kate
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 8, 2010
            Hi Barby,
            Most of the airbrush tat artists charge per letter.  If you have a way to get the stencils for the names made up ahead of time it would be a lot cheaper.  Check with a stencil place that makes mylar stencils.  You can go to http://www.tatstore.com and check under the "community" tab to the left.  Click on "artist directory" and you can find a temp tat artist.
            This particular company has tattoos that last up to 2 weeks if they are taken care of properly.  I am not an employee, just know that this is ink that really lasts.

            Kat
            Massachusetts

            I am designing The Last of the Boys, and the younger actress needs to have her torso tattooed all over with the names from the VietNam Memorial Wall. Any suggestions?? We run Thurs - Sundays, with three days off. I was thinking about henna. Saw some black temporary body ink on a henna site, but know nothing about it. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We would prefer to not have to apply every night due to the time consideration.

            Thanks, Barby

          • Paula McWhirter-Buck
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 8, 2010
              there is such a thing as printable tattoo paper.
              it can be printed in a regular ink jet printer, comes with a "glue" that is applied to the paper, and lasts like a bought temp. tatoo.
              i used them for a production of THE FOREIGNER, which ran two weekends.  we applied them on thursday and they lasted through sunday's matinees.

              Do not use Henna! It stains (can last up to 3 weeks) and too many people

              have sensitivities to it that doesn't show up until afterwards (blisters,

              scaring....) It's just not worth the risk. I personally would make her a

              body stocking to wear - like those tattoo sleeves you can buy. I woudln't

              let my child be covered with Henna... *shudder*

              Mandy

              On 7 June 2010 20:50, Barby <babsdesign3@...> wrote:

              > I am designing The Last of the Boys, and the younger actress needs to have

              > her torso tattooed all over with the names from the VietNam Memorial Wall.

              > Any suggestions?? We run Thurs - Sundays, with three days off. I was

              > thinking about henna. Saw some black temporary body ink on a henna site,

              > but know nothing about it. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions would be

              > greatly appreciated! We would prefer to not have to apply every night due

              > to the time consideration.

              > Thanks, Barby

            • KEVIN LARSEN
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 8, 2010
                I would not suggest using black henna. There is no true black henna and the chemicals used to produce "black" henna can be toxic. Regular henna will produce a pretty dark stain. Check out pics here from my friend Heather. www.hennabyheather.com<http://www.hennabyheather.com/>. Good henna will last anywhere from 1-3 weeks depending on how well it is taken care of. No long hot showers or baths. you might see if there is a henna artist in your area that would be willing to do it. It not that hard to do yourself though if you have the time. Good Luck!! Smiles, Brandie www.mysillybluehippo.etsy.com<http://www.mysillybluehippo.etsy.com/> www.butteoperahouse.com<http://www.butteoperahouse.com/>

              • GCKidd
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 8, 2010
                  Making a body-stocking with the names on it would simplify things considerably. Unless your actress is prepared to wear the names for a month, henna is a REALLY bad idea--it's temporary, but only to the extent that it only lasts until she sloughs off enough skin cells that it goes away.

                  There are temporary tattoo inks on the market that last anywhere from a day to a couple of weeks...most of them clean up easily with rubbing alcohol, but the results can vary massively from person to person (I used the same stuff on two different actors in the same show...one needed a single application Friday night, with an occasional touch-up through the weekend...the other--same ink, same show--had to have new tats done each night because they just didn't stay on his skin, either due to heavy sweat, or higher skin oil content, or whatever). If, however, your actress isn't very comfortable standing around in next-to-nothing while someone puts all the names on her (which will be a LONG process, even with airbrush and stencils), you're putting her in a really awkward position.

                  The body stocking lets you put the names right where you want them (and they'll be there, in exactly the same place and same condition each night), it's something that pretty much anyone can put the names on in comfort (at a leisurely pace), and you don't have to worry about spending a few hours in the middle of the show run touching up the work. You can use a black marker (as long as the material for the stocking doesn't bleed the ink). And, best of all, your actress can go from normal to tattooed in about five minutes, as opposed to three hours.

                  --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Barby" <babsdesign3@...> wrote:

                  > I am designing The Last of the Boys, and the younger actress needs to have her torso tattooed all over with the names from the VietNam Memorial Wall. Any suggestions?? We run Thurs - Sundays, with three days off. I was thinking about henna. Saw some black temporary body ink on a henna site, but know nothing about it. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We would prefer to not have to apply every night due to the time consideration.
                  > Thanks, Barby

                • Barby
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 10, 2010
                    Thanks to everyone for the tattoo advice and warnings. I think now I just have to find a supplier for a couple body stockings and get to work with the Sharpie! Thanks again.
                    Barby